Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rose Pedal Metric - Hanging On





Ride Summary (totals):
Distance: 61.33 mi 
Elevation Gain 3,237 ft 
Moving Time: 03:25:58 
Avg Moving Speed: 17.9 mph
Max Speed: 41.7 mph

Group:Jamie, Mike, Gary, Jack, Scott, Kit, Neal, Keith and me
Goal: Hang on for dear life

The Ride: I am glad that several were interested in doing something a little different today and now that we have had a taste of the roads along the Rose Pedal route most of us are enjoying something a little different than our usual brewery routes. I am surprised I like the roads up there since I usually do not favor the larger rolling terrain as I typically struggle, but I still enjoyed the roads today.

Typically I do more in organizing with the routes and getting the word out, but lately work has been a bit more stressful and I have not had time. Gary had more to do with getting the word out for this weekend and when folk started showing up for the ride and I looked around I had a moment of doubt that I could hang with this group. It is kind of like a club rider getting to invited to ride with a bunch of Cat 3 racers. Well, that may be a slight exaggeration, but still I did not think I could hang for the full ride. Fortunately the group had mercy on some of the larger rollers as they slowed down on the other side and I was able to get back on, take a breather and hope to hang on for the next one. I looked at my power meter as we hit some of those hills and the reading would be well over 400 watts. This was quite different style of riding compared to my training since last June where I have just concentrated on a steady Level 3 & 4 type of training to work on my aerobic conditioning.

Neal summed how I felt today as he said something like, "I am proud of us for hanging on." That was exactly how I felt in those last few miles coming in because I truly thought I would have been dropped in the first 20 miles. Not to mention Kit driving the pace at the front and not stopping until about mile 48. I had to do a nature break way before that. Me enduring 48 miles without doing a nature break may have set a personal record.

To the gang today.....you are a blessing to me to be able to share time and miles with you.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~52 oz.of water with Hammer Heed, Glutamine (1) Hammer gel (2) Cliff Bars (1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink .

The Weather: cloudy/overcast start @ 66 degrees, partly cloudy end @ 80 degrees

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap wired, Contour GPS camera
Power Summary: (Based on Coogan's Levels)
Summary Table of Minutes of Duration in Each Training Zone
  Level   Minutes       TSS
      1      4.41      1.13
      2     50.06     32.53
      3    112.56    140.50
      4     25.79     29.99
      5      0.00      0.00
      6      2.81      7.81
      7     10.92     40.47 9 (Yikes!!!)

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (128 watts):
    Duration:      3:27:47 (3:38:20)
    Work:          1581 kJ
    TSS:           253.6 (intensity factor 0.861)
    Norm Power:    177
    VI:            1.38
    Distance:      61.637 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    830    128     watts
    Speed:           0    42    17.8     mph
    Pace             1:26    0:00    3:22     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0    34    5     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0    922    138     lb-in

 Here is how my data looked trying to hang on climbing the rollers and staying with the group throughout the day.
Peak 30sec - 429 watts
Peak 20sec - 482 watts
Peak 10sec - 695 watts
Peak 5sec - 790 watts

No comments: