Sunday, February 17, 2013

Comet - Better Than Yesterday






Route:
Distance:  38 miles
Avg. Moving Speed:  18.6 mph
Moving Time: 2:02:32
Total Time:2:03:03
Ride Total TSS: 151 (0.86 IF)
Group:
Solo (Paced one guy on the way back)
Goal:
See what I can output on this 2x60
Ride Description:
I believe I felt even a touch better today than I did yesterday as far as how the legs felt and how they were willing to contribute more while enduring the burning sensation of being near my functional threshold a few times and at times a bit over. Going out was like yesterday pushing against the wind. I passed a couple of cyclists on the way out, but never caught anyone sustaining a good pace.

On the way back I had a few targets just as I turned. One of the guys in a blue jacket looked like he was flying so I thought there was no way I could catch up. Watching the power meter I slowly started to see the first two in sight and went by them. Then I saw the next guy in a red jacket and was starting to pace up to him. I could tell he was struggling and I believe that was due to trying to keep up with the guy in the blue jacket. Then way off in the distance I could see a speck of blue, but just kept on about 90% of my threshold thinking there is no way. However, the speck of blue was getting larger and I was closing in on him. Several miles later I was on his wheel and when he realized I was there he bumped up his intensity.

I rolled just off his left so not to be in his draft so that my training intensity would stay up, but his pace was intense enough. At one point he struggled on a small incline and I went by him, but he was not content with that so he blew past me and put a gap on me. I had to sprint to catch his wheel again and from there I knew he was a happy camper staying ahead of me. I had no problem with this and used his intensity to motivate my intensity to stay with him. Dang!! he was rolling strong and steady until his turn off point at the 4 mile marker. 4 miles left for me to keep up my pace so that I could end the 60 minute effort with a 20 mph average pace.

My legs are feeling it now, but thankfully these recovery compression tights have a pretty soothing feeling. Tomorrow is active recovery and hopefully back on schedule. I will still have to work overtime this coming few weeks, but hopefully not as much as last week.

To all of you that take a moment to share in my insanity of cycling, I hope you continue to push the pace and make 2013 a great year.
Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
10 oz from Bottle #1 water
24 oz from Bottle #2 water, BCAA, Glutamine, maltodextrin
Post Ride | 30 gram protein drink
Home | fish, green beans
Bike: 
LOOK 585, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+
Overall Powertap Data: 
 Lap 1:    Duration:      1:00:04
    Work:          666 kJ
    TSS:           76.3 (intensity factor 0.877)
    Norm Power:    193
    VI:            1.04
    Distance:      17.592 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    553    185     watts
    Cadence:         8    205    74     rpm
    Speed:           0    24.2    17.6     mph
    Pace             2:29    0:00    3:25     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1573    219     lb-in



Lap 2:    Duration:      55:33
    Work:          583 kJ
    TSS:           66.8 (intensity factor 0.849)
    Norm Power:    187
    VI:            1.07
    Distance:      18.568 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    758    175     watts
    Cadence:         9    225    74     rpm
    Speed:           0    28.4    20.1     mph
    Pace             2:07    0:00    2:60     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1574    210     lb-in

No comments: