Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sweat Guard - Prototype

Tomorrow I will get my trainer bike back from Cannon Cyclery with new cables, cleanup, new bottom bracket, chain, cables and housings. This bike was due for all the work described just out of regular timing of maintenance, but in the case of this bike it has taken an extra dose of punishment by the amount of sweat generated training indoors. Even my Garmin 800 that I use as a head unit was getting swamped so I needed to figure out a way to provide a little more protection for the front end of the bike while using the rollers. Using a towel on the bars while on the rollers has been cumbersome and takes some of my concentration away from training (staying balanced as well) and more with keeping the towel in place.

I came up with the prototype shown below just out of quick trip to the large box home supply store to pick up some Lexan and hardware putting the project cost at less than $20 and it took me less than an hour to build this first prototype. The tools that I used were a radial arm saw to cut the Lexan and a drill press for the remainder of the work. I still need to find a way to attach the guard, but more than likely I will use zip ties. Also I planned on using rubber stoppers for the feet, but all the store had for this size was cork. I will probably have to order the rubber stoppers for the next version.

This might look goofy, but the cost for damaged components is too much to be concerned with looks.
















No comments: