Saturday, June 13, 2009

Johnson Mountain Bailout







Garmin Connect Ride Data

The word bailout is being used so much these days in the media that I thought I would not only use the word, but apply it to my cycling addiction. GM gets a bailout, the banks get a bailout so why not me?

Today we were to do a 75 mile route that would include a small climb up Johnson Mountain, but the guys that have been coming to our group rides lately are incredible cyclist that seemingly raise the bar each week on performance output. Today I started the group out, but I am always mindful of what Alan is telling me and that is to get off the front and save some energy drafting in the group. After a few miles I worked my way back, but then the pace started going up with these guys up front working. At the store stop, which was much later in the ride at 44 miles I was already starting to fall off the back of the group, but I still had a 19.2 mph average even as I was slowing down. That was pretty quick considering the hills became big rollers.


The image above is a snapshot of my data just before the store stop.

Just before the store I felt some discomfort in my spinal erectors (lower back muscles) and told the guys and gal that I was bailing out on doing Johnson Mountain. Rick Nielsen also felt as if he strained his inner thigh so he and I both bailed out and headed back together. Like Rick stated, I also agree that I hate to not finish something that I set out to do, but wisdom I am finding out as I get older is a touch better than stupidity from excessive flow of testosterone. Listening to your body during the fight so that you go back to fight another day and I am very glad I did this time around. As we headed back I was starting to feel spasms firing off in various parts of my legs as if they wanted to go into a full blown cramp, but I am also learning how to spin through those and use the gearing on the bike to work through the cramp.

Even though Rick and I bailed out on the full route, we did finish with 65 miles and I finished with an overall average of 17.9 mph despite having to slow way down to avoid the cramps. It wasn't much longer and Alan rolls in, then Edgar, Gary and the other started rolling in.

What is amazing to me is this group that has been collecting lately for the ride has been amazing. It seems like a good chemistry of personalities among those attending and their performance ability has been really challenging to me. All of them are riding really strong. I just do my best to hang on as long as I can and hope the next ride I will have improved so that I can hang on a little longer. They are a nice group, but they will drop you in a heart beat :-)

The group today was Nancy Alexander, Gary Quellet, Edgar Lebron, Tim Jones, Jason, Rod Dubois, Keith Bolton, JD Williams, Alan Pilling, Kit Sealock, Rick Nielsen, me and I hope I didn't leave anyone out. All strong and all hard for me to keep up with, but very glad to ride even just a few miles with them. There were others strong riders that normally ride with us, but many of them had other activities lined up.

To all of those doing Cherohala next weekend we will be rootin' for ya!!

No comments: