Saturday, August 22, 2009

Brewery-JohnsonMt Birthday Ride

Post ride picture of part of our group


(click on image to enlarge)



Garmin Ride Data

Group:
We had an incredible turn out today. It was announced as my birthday ride, but it was also Blake's and Jason's birthday as well. If I were to guess I would say about 30 in our group, but when we started another big group was mixed in with us. It looked like an organized charity event with a mass start. After a few miles the other group split off from us. I believe overall everyone had a good ride. We feel blessed based on the damp roads and a fast descending section when Chick says he applied his brakes a little too hard. I was right behind him when his bike started to fish tail one direction and then another and then again. I thought he was about to pull it out for a recovery and was amazed how well he was handling the situation, but the last maneuver he hit Edgar who had just pulled to the side of the road because of a flat. It looked like a very hard impact, but Edgar and Chick both got up and said they were okay. After the climb and descent from Johnson Mountain we were back on Hwy. 411 with Claire at the front with a steady pace. It was at that point I believe the group broke apart. Once we crossed over the highway and were on Cassville Pine Log Road the group picked up the pace again and put a little gap on me, Claire and Chick (Don), but I heard Claire say, "go get em" so I put on a harder pace and we did pull to the back of the group. At that point I think my legs were toast, but I did get in one more effort on Busch Drive in the last miles. At the end of the ride we all enjoyed some fellowship and brownies that Diane had made for us. I feel incredibly blessed to have such good friends to share a day of cycling.

Route Description: The route had sections of climbing and technical descents with some flat highway and road sections toward the end. Diane created a very good route for our group today.

Nutrition Intake During the Course: (1)Hammer gel, (2)24oz. bottles with Hammer Heed/10grams Glutamine/3grams BCAA's , (1/2) 24oz. bottle refill with plain water at the store stop, (1)Cliff Bar, (4)Endurolytes, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink & several birthday brownies made by Diane and a few more of those brownies when I got home just for kicks.

Weather: Cloudy start / Sunny finish - 70's at the start and 81 at the finish.

Training Goal: My goal today was to hang with the group and follow whatever pace was set. I am not a strong climber so I had to make up for the climbing weakness with some stronger efforts on the flats to catch up at times. My power data and my improvement on the bike are correlating to one another. The slow ramp up in weekly training efforts are making a difference.

Entire workout (147 watts):
Duration: 3:16:01 (3:42:21)
Work: 1702 kJ
TSS: 222 (intensity factor 0.831)
Norm Power: 191
Distance: 54.836 mi
Min/ Max/ Avg
Power: 0/ 945/ 147 watts
Cadence: 29/ 244/ 79 rpm
Speed: 2.3/ 38.6/ 17.0 mph
Pace 1:33/ 26:06/ 3:31 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0/ 439/ 70 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0/ 1066/ 168 lb-in

No comments: