Saturday, May 8, 2010

2010 Up The Creek Without a Pedal - Metric

(Birthday Girls - Diane and Jamie)

(Edgar and David - Post Ride)

(Diane, Rod and Edgar - Pre Ride)


The Group: A lot of our brewery group plus a bunch more that ride with us occasionally. I would guess more than 30 at the start.

The Ride Organizers & Helpers: A big thank you to all those who worked the event. Of the organized rides that I choose to do this is my second favorite ride based on how the event is put together. It is almost right up there with 3 State 3 Mountain as far as how well it is put together. I am very grateful to all those who make the event so nice.

The Ride: After doing 3 State 3 Mountain Century last weekend I was not sure if my legs had recouperated from the intense cramps I had endured during that event. I curbed my training this week with hopes that I could not only do the century, but hang in the pack at least a little longer this year. 

Great job to the gang for completing the century in 4:55 hours with a 19.9 mph average.

However, I was not able to stick with the gang. Right out of the parking lot at the start all those spots that cramped severely last week were already starting to feel a little funky. I stayed at the back of the group as the pace was fairly brisk. As the road slope began to increase at mile 14 on Everett Springs and Pocket road, my legs and calves were really starting to fire off little spasms in those same spots. Me and six others were separated from the group during this climb and as we pull into the 30 mile sag stop the front group were already ready to leave. I was already thinking that discretion / valor quote along with live to fight another day and that bailing on the 100 mile option and go with the 60 mile option. No doubt that my decision was the right choice for today. 

At the 30 mile sag stop the group left so quickly that they left a few behind. Edgar and some others were still there, but he and Tim went on to do the 100 miles. As I was still standing at the sag stop preparing to leave I see Edgar coming back to make the turn for the 60 mile option. He was thinking I was ahead of him and spent his remaining miles chasing after me, but I was not in front of him. Well at least he got in a strong ride chasing after me.:-)

The route had a change because of some erosion and bad road conditions. I was riding alone for a number of miles and actually enjoying it to be honest. My pace continued to be strong, but since I was riding solo I was better able to monitor the stress load in order to reduce cramping. At the ~48 mile sag stop I saw Scott, JD and some other guys that asked if I wanted to ride with them, but I wasn't quite ready. I left the sag stop solo at a comfortable pace. A few more miles down the road and at the crest of a small climb, seven strong looking cyclists come by me at a fast pace. I quickly jumped on the back of that group and much to my surprise my legs were tolerating the stress load. The road gradient was low rolling hills and I was able to hang with their quick pace until near the end. While in that group I sped past Scott and the other guys. I bailed from the fast guys and joined in the remaining miles with Scott, who also put on a brisk pace all the way back to the mall parking lot where I see Edgar waiting at the truck and for him to tell me that he had been chasing after a ghost.

Anyway nothing great to boast today, but I am really happy to be writing this out and not feeling completely trashed. Time to let the legs heal from those cramps last week and then start training hard again for the rest of the season.

Happy Birthday to Jamie and Diane!!! 
Maybe next year will be the year I can hang with them on this ride.


No comments: