Saturday, May 21, 2011

Brewery 85 - Rev It Till It Overheats




RidewithGPS Data
Garmin Connect Ride Data
Ride Summary (totals):
Distance: 86.22 mi 
Elevation Gain 3,703 ft 
Moving Time: 05:07:12 
Avg Moving Speed: 16.8 mph (Overheated and had to slow down)
Max Speed: 33.5 mph

Group:Jamie, Diane, Mike, Gary, Rod and me
Goal: Enjoy the day with my cycling buddies

The Ride: We tried an "Exploratory Ride" as Tim might call it. I wanted a route that was fairly flat, but had enough miles. I think today's route accomplished that task and I really like the route. It had a nice mix of scenery, but we also saw pockets of areas destroyed by the recent tornadoes that hit this area. The damage was amazing and my thoughts and prayers go out to all those who trying piece their life and home back together.

I certainly enjoyed the group and with the smaller number it just makes the whole day a lot less stressful. As you can imagine the more people the more opportunity for mayhem of different sorts, but today we had the core of the group and those who I have been privileged to ride a lot of miles with the past couple of years. 
We tend to look out for each other and today thanks to Diane for looking out for me as I started to get overheated around mile 70. At mile 78 I had stop for a little and cool off as I was feeling like tossing the cookies and I had not the joy of eating any cookies yet. At least good sense had me slow my pace down until the end otherwise the pace was fairly brisk for many miles and I can imagine that the others may have ended with a good average speed. But again thanks to Diane for slowing down, waiting on me, chatting with me and towing me back in. I had plenty of power still left in my legs, but I am glad that my typical hardheadedness male ego was suppressed with some rational thinking, but then again I had female influence and wisdom so again Diane gets the credit. Gary looked a bit overheated as well when I pulled into the parking lot, but my head was spinning a little so I may not have been clear minded enough to tell.

Everyone in the group seemed to have plenty of sustainable power in their legs today. Rod had some exceptionally long brisk pulls in the front as did Gary and Mike seem to be pushing the pace as well.

Despite this little heat episode, I had a great day with my cycling friends. The route was good except for the one road that was "shake and bake" for a couple of miles. We stopped at a store around mile 43 and stopped again at Carters Lake Dam. The exploratory road turned out to be gravel so we had to stay on route, but the traffic was not too bad even on some of the roads labeled as highways. However, it may be a route better traveled in a group rather than solo.

Hopefully we can quickly get acclimated to this sudden jump in heat. It may change my hopes of having a summer full of long rides if I cannot get used to it soon. Oh well...to all my cycling buddies and those who were off doing other things I hope you got in the miles you wanted and the route was a joy. See you soon

To the gang today.....you are a blessing to me to be able to share time and miles with you.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~52 oz.of water with Hammer Heed, Glutamine (1) Hammer gel (2) Cliff Bars (1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink .

The Weather: sunny start @ 66 degrees, sunny End @ 88 degrees

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap wired, Contour GPS camera
Power Summary: (Based on Coogan's Levels)
Summary Table of Minutes of Duration in Each Training Zone
  Level   Minutes       TSS
      1      2.90      0.37
      2    143.28     86.92
      3    153.49    175.97
      4      0.00      0.00
      5      0.00      0.00
      6      1.76      6.07
      7      5.23     22.39

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (115 watts):
    Duration:      5:09:23 (5:38:54)
    Work:          2119 kJ
    TSS:           291.9 (intensity factor 0.76)
    Norm Power:    156
    VI:            1.35
    Distance:      86.471 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    745    115     watts
    Speed:           0    33.7    16.8     mph
    Pace             1:47    0:00    3:35     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0    32    5     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0    754    131     lb-in

1 comment:

dwnhllgrl said...

Glad to be there for you, jesse. you did really well after we stopped. it's amazing how a little time, water & SHADE will help you regenerate enough energy to get back to the car. found out later that jamie had a hard time too. so 50% had heat issues. it was HOT!!! guess summer is here to stay :(