Saturday, November 12, 2011

Brewery to Craneeater Road

Ride with GPS Data
Garmin Connect Data
Summary
Moving Time: 4:22:05
Distance: 70 miles
Avg Moving Speed 16.2 mph
Elevation Gain: 2,800 ft

Group:  Too many to count or attempt to jot down names.

Goal: Keep a steady pace if possible

The Ride: Sometimes you just don't know until you go. Go out and see how the legs will do that is and I found out at some point that it was going to be a tough day for me. But I will get to that later.

My intuition was to go out on a solo ride and then at the last moment I changed to ride with Diane and friends on a route that she had planned. Thanks Diane for once again rallying the troops to a ride.The word must have spread quickly because this was probably the biggest group I have seen roll out in weeks and it was great to see some people like Jeff, Margaret, Nancy, Kit and some others that I have not seen in a while.

The group ride was starting at 9 a.m. so I went out 8 a.m. and did about 12 miles, returned to change to some lighter clothes and then rolled out with the group. Those first solo miles were brutal as I have not quite acclimated to the colder temperatures. A quick look at my phone it reported 27 degrees F. Just about everything felt uncomfortably cold except the air was stinging the exposed skin on my face. The last few miles I began to warm up enough to shed a few layers before the group ride.

I struggled to get into a groove while in the group. If I went off the front it seemed to cause a chase and mixed in the group I was feathering my brakes and coasting a lot. I knew that I needed to get in a position to get some steady time putting some constant torque on the pedals so I dropped off the back to ride solo. Plus it did not take long to figure out that my legs were fatigued from training this past week. Hindsight, I should have done less miles today or just taken the day off to rest, however, it was nice to get out on the bike regardless.

The big group that rolled out of the brewery split into about half early in the ride and I was with the front half some of the miles. It looked like they had a comfortable pace going. Since I was either off the back or at times out in front of the group I cannot testify as to how the ride went for them. It looked like they had a great time.

All I can think about now is taking a nap. Perhaps that is what I will do now.
I hope you had a great ride or training today and this week. Until the next one.......

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~26 oz. of water with Hammer Perpetuem, BCAA's, Gluatamine  (1) Cliff bar (1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink (1) post ride chicken club sandwich on toast about 30 minutes following the ride.

The Weather: Sunny Start @ 27 degrees, End @ 60 degrees, calm air at the start with breezy conditions later in the ride.

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (124 watts):
    Duration:      4:26:42 (4:52:55)
    Work:          1989 kJ
    TSS:           249.8 (intensity factor 0.75)
    Norm Power:    154
    VI:            1.24
    Distance:      70.919 mi
    Elevation Gain:        2073 ft
    Elevation Loss:       2072 ft
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    742    124     watts
    Cadence:         7    231    82     rpm
    Speed:           0    36    16.0     mph
    Pace             1:40    0:00    3:45     min/mi
    Altitude:        646    1019    808     ft
    Crank Torque:    0    1088    135     lb-in

2 comments:

dwnhllgrl said...

jesse, you are too hard on yourself. you were in front a LOT & we are all impressed with your stamina & speed. your training has sure paid off! :) Wish I had been around you more on the ride, i miss catching up w/ you. hope you have a good week!

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks Diane
I hope you all have a great time next weekend and also post some pictures on Facebook