Thursday, April 24, 2008

Seeing and Achieving - Visualization

Visualization
We have heard the phrase, “seeing is believing” but have you ever thought about “seeing is achieving?” With upcoming goals I reflect back to my days of practicing visualization regarding weightlifting goals. When you set a realistic goal there may be times when that goal seems intimidating and that intimidation becomes a mental barrier to achieving the goal. When I first start lifting it was really intimidating to step up to the squat bar with weight that I thought would crush me and yet I really wanted to achieve this goal. Almost anyone that has lifted seriously can tell you that the majority of people that lift weights do not like to do squats with free weights. Setting my first goal to squat a certain weight I simply could not progress because mentally I did not truly believe in myself and mentally I could not get past the discomfort of loading my back with a heavier bar. I am not sure where I first read about visualization in the early 80’s, but I knew that unless I could find belief in myself I was not going to progress at my desired pace if at all. If you cannot see yourself doing something more than likely you are either going to really struggle or fail so to change my view I had to see myself doing what intimidated me. Visualization can apply to many types of goals, whether it be weightlifting, cycling, dieting and even corporations have a “Corporate Vision” as to their desired goals and many other items can be added to the list where a vision can help bring confidence to the goal.

The Technique
During the first couple of weeks I really had trouble getting this mental image, which is more like forcing a day dream. It may take some time to get the mental focus and meditation to see the images, but with practice the images become clearer. I would imagine a loaded bar on the squat rack, I begin to see myself going through my pre-ritual psyche measures, I could see my spotters yelling at me and then I would see myself get under the bar and prepare to back out of the rack. At that point was the next hurdle because if I did not truly believe at that point the daydream image would stop and I would loose focus, but once I broke through mentally in confidence I could see me performing the maximum lift. After several years of meeting goals and becoming more experienced with visualization my body would react to the images. As I would see myself getting psyched up to do the lift my heart rate and breathing patterns in real life would increase even though I would be lying still on my bed. There are times when I would do a quick visualization on the drive to the gym or even while warming up. Have you ever noticed while watching TV, an athlete preparing before their event as if they are looking into space, moving their hands and body as if going through the motions. They are practicing visualization. It is an important skill that will give you confidence if you are lacking confidence. It will add to your confidence even if you are already well trained.

How does this apply to my new addiction to cycling? Well I am finding climbing is to cycling what squats are to a weightlifter. It can be a very discomforting aspect to many cyclists. 2006 I feared and rejected opportunities to go to the north Georgia gaps and do extended climbing up the same mountain roads the pro cyclists use on the Tour de Georgia. 2007 I started climbing, but I struggled mentally with the discomfort. 2008 I can visualize myself becoming a better climber and now that I can see myself being a better climber, I really am becoming a better climber because hill training has changed from something I avoided to something that I now welcome. Like the old days of lifting when I eventually came to the point where I enjoyed the discomfort of heavy squats, I am now welcoming the discomfort of extended climbing up roadways that many cannot see themselves cycling.

For me seeing is achieving and visualization helps me get through those mental barriers much more quickly.

No comments: