Saturday, May 10, 2008

Up the Creek Without a Pedal - Century






Motionbased Ride Data

About mid week last week I was thinking about one of my favorite organized rides, Up the Creek Without a Pedal. On one side I was concerned about being recovered enough from 3 State 3 Mountain and on the other side the thought of missing this fast route with my friends. I went ahead with Cindi’s blessing and signed up.

Day of the event and I pick up Edgar early in the morning and start the drive up to Rome, Georgia. On the way we talked about beating our times from last year. Most of what I proclaimed I also put in a note, “if my legs will let me.” I never know how my ride is going to be until about 10 miles have passed. After my legs warm up I can begin to tell if it going to be a good day. When we arrived in the mall parking lot we see Neal and Glenn and a few others that we hope to group with for a fast paceline. Our group wanted to start with the mass start and that can be chaotic, but soon after we safely rolled out onto the street things began to settle down. We could see the fast group a little bit in front of us and that was where Edgar and a few others were pacing. I found myself toward the front of our group with Diane, Jamie, Margaret,David, Mike and a few others. I set a faster pace hoping to bridge the gap between our group and the faster group and mostly hoping that if I could get on the back of the faster group maybe I could rest a little. After realizing that I was not going get up to Edgar’s group I pulled off and got the usual chiding about my pace, but it’s all in good fun. At that point I was content to mix into the group, but I could tell that this was going to be a day of struggling for me. My legs were still very fatigued from the 3 State 3 Mountain century the week before along with my usual week day training as well. I did my best just to hang on the back of the group with a fast pace that ranged with sustained speeds from the low to mid 20’s. At one point I had to provide Edgar with some entertainment by doing a little break away and see if his usual prey instincts would kick in. Sure enough here he comes with two others chasing. I was thinking it was a foolish move to do this when my legs already hurt so bad, but it is fun and we are both bad about these spontaneous little bouts of wasted energy expenditure.

At the 50-mile sag stop I tried to stretch my legs, but that only seem to aggravate them more. I felt a sharp pain in my right quadriceps and my hips were tighter than a drum. As soon as our group started back their pace quickly returned to something in the high 20’s because I was holding between 22 to 24 and they were quickly pulling away from me. My legs hurt too much to continue trying to catch them and I am doubtful that I could even with fresh legs. I was content to go with my own pace and ride alone, which I did for the next 35 miles. I wanted to beat last years time and average speed so I did my best to hold speed, but without help of a paceline I knew it was going to be a little tougher. I struggled on some of the rolling hills, but with no one around or in sight I was comfortable doing my own pace. At the 85-mile sag stop I saw Bill Adkins and Neal Bowers about to finish up with their rest stop so I quickly got some fluids and started the remaining 15 miles. I believe Bill was my tow truck pulling my tired carcass for most of those 15 miles and it was tough for me to provide any help for him. At the end I was not too disappointed with the results considering I had my toughest ride to date the week before. I had a 17.9 average and a 5:32 moving time last year with the entire ride pacing in a group. This year I ended with an 18.2 average and a 5:26 moving time with tired legs and much of the ride facing the winds alone.

My thoughts on the Up the Creek Without a Pedal ride puts this ride right up there with one of my favorites and even though I was already worn out I couldn’t see missing this opportunity to be with friends on one of the fastest organized cycling events in North Georgia. As usual my riding friends following the ride were all pretty excited about having set new personal bests. Neal Bowers seemed very excited about his, “fastest century” ever. Neal you deserve to feel good. You looked strong to me throughout the ride. Good Job!! David, nice bike and its plenty fast too!!! :-)

Coosa Valley Cycling Association are the organizers of the event and do a great job providing facilities, good sag stops, police at some of the bigger intersections and more food at the end. I look forward to returning again next year, but I am sure I will be just as tired because I hope to again make 3 State 3 Mountain my focus, but even with fatigue this is a good event.

3 comments:

Velotigger said...

You've done nothing but get stronger Jesse, what a great performance after the 3S3M. Wow!!!!!

Velotigger said...

You've done nothing but get stronger Jesse, what a great performance after the 3S3M. Wow!!!!!

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks velotigger