Saturday, June 14, 2008

Burnt Mountain - Take It Easy Ride







Motionbased Ride Data

Additional Ride Pictures

This year I had a goal to work on my biggest cycling weakness and who better to have on this goal, but with Gary Quellet, who loves to climb. Others have been training with us as well, but for months Gary and I have worked together on almost every ride working toward specific goals. First, was my goal to complete the 3 State 3 Mountain Century and that was accomplished. Second, Gary has the goal of a return to the Cherohala Challenge and today was our last training ride together as this goal will be next weekend. I have been struggling with the thought of entering the Cherohala because I have been part of all the training along with Gary and others leading up to this epic ride, but on the other side I have also struggled with fatigue the last couple of rides. Unfortunately, I will not be joining Gary and Mike Quick as they set out for Tennessee next Friday. This will be Mike Quick's first time for the ride and I believe a number of others from our club will also be going up. Again I am mindful of Neal, who had been preparing hard for the Cherohala doing a lot of work on Burnt Mountain and then the injury last weekend. My thoughts go out to Neal as he recovers.



Since the Tour de Georgia Gary and Mike have talked about following a portion of the tour route that goes from Cove Road to Grandview then the climb up the west side of Burnt Mountain. Based on the information on Friday night it appeared that it would be just me, Gary and Mike, but a pleasant surprise that David Marion showed up Saturday morning to join this casual ride. As we set out I could tell I was still fatigued. My legs were still reluctant to spin and my heart rate was racing, but I wanted to keep these thoughts subdued because today was just a joy to complete a series of hard training rides with this group of guys. With all 3 being much stronger climbers than me I was content to settle back and go my own pace.



Going across Cove Road and Grandview the terrain was a "sawtooth" as shown on the profile above. The profile really doesn't give a good perspective of the terrain. It was not too bad, but probably could wear out a person before reaching Burnt Mountain if they were hammering all the little climbs leading up to Burnt Mountain. The nice thing about these substantial rolling hills is the reward of some fast downhills. Grandview lived up to its name with a great view of a calm private lake surrounded by a heavy stand of trees protecting it from the wind. Down another fast section and Gary is almost wiped out by a deer that crossed just in front of him. At least that is how it looked to the rest of us.



At the end of Grandview is the intersection to Burnt Mountain Road, but the climb is somewhat shorter from our normal route that starts at the technical school. My legs were grateful that the climb had been reduced to 5 miles to the summit. It wasn't too long before the guys were out of my sight. I went through periods of coaxing my legs to put forth a little more effort, but they were not cooperating. It was probably my slowest climb up this slope in a while. Once I reached the summit the group of guys were waiting along with Alan Ezzell, who was doing hill repeats on the east side of Burnt Mountain as the last training ride before the Cherohala Challenge.




I was really happy about the descent down the east side. I cautiously passed the spot that I crashed and remained a little cautious since the Department of Transportation used tar to seal cracks in the pavement making it a little trickier than normal, but I was able to get into a groove and did the best descent since the crash. Just don't tell my wife please!!



After a turn onto Highway 183 / 136 and a few fast miles we reached our store stop. At this point I was grateful that most of the hard climbing was behind us. Ahead of us was mild rolling terrain and each of the guys had their turns doing a fast pace with each of us chasing. We kept trading back and forth like this for many miles until we stopped at the Kangaroo Farm. Yep, that's right a Kangaroo Farm out in the middle of the country and open for all those to go in and see some kangaroos. Of course it will cost something to see them.



Pretty much for the rest of the ride the terrain was rolling with one mild climb on Afton Road. The guys had a good pace and rode out of my sight within a couple of minutes. By the time I crested the next hill they were gone. I felt a couple of sprinkles of rain on my face and wondered if they were racing to the car. Once I crested each hill I would pedal up to the high 20's and expected to see them climbing the next, but they were gone. I finally met them waiting for me at the intersection of Afton Road and Steve Tate Road. Now we were just a few miles from the finish and stayed in a paceline on the busier highway to Cove Road and the finish.



At the end of this ride I can look at Gary and believe he is rested and ready, Mike looked strong as usual on climbing and in general even though he has not been able to ride much because of various work and family events and David rode strong on the climbs, was fast on the descents and was eager to chase anyone that looked like they were going to attempt a sprint. For me I am grateful to train with these guys and hang the best I could with guys that ride above my level. I look forward to hearing about their experience on Cherohala Challenge ride. I believe they are prepared.



After the ride we did something we don't normally get to do and that is hang out for a little while at a pizza place and talk. Thanks to David for picking up the tab. Next one's on me if you guys don't try to kill me on the next ride.



(pictured left to right: Gary, Mike, Jesse, David and the bottom is Alan Ezzell-one the strongest riders I know)

2 comments:

SworksMark said...

Jesse, I too share a weakness for hill climbing. Unfortunately my training partner is part billy goat! Can you share the route map of this ride? I'm prepping for 6 Gap and am doing a Burnt Mtn ride this Sunday (from Ducktown past Big Canoe looping around on 136.

Thanks,

Mark

The Cycling Addiction said...

Mark, on the Motionbased link at the top of this blog entry will lead you to that ride data. From there you can download a gpx file that can be opened with Google Earth or other mapping programs. I also have some other Burnt Moutain rides, but you will have to look through my ride data history to find them. Those can be found by using the "Motionbased Ride Data History" link just below my profile on the right side.

I hope this will help and that you have a good ride.

Jesse