Monday, July 21, 2008

Change of Routine

For a while now I desired to step up to training with a powermeter. For those who are unfamiliar with the device it is a more accurate method of measuring progress and allowing the user to determine and train within certain zones established by sports scientist. The problem was that it is a somewhat expensive tool and one that I could not purchase with the blessing of my wife and since we are a team I respect her thoughts on larger purchases.

However, on Friday evening I received a personal message on cyclingforums.com from Dave Ryan that he had an older PT Pro on a Mavic rim that he would sell me for a good price. I showed Cindi the message and she allowed me to make the purchase.

I knew that if I ever was able to step up to training with a powermeter that I would have to rearrange my training routine. I currently wakeup at 4:30 during the weekday and head off to the gym to use the spin bike for interval training and then train with weights. This routine has worked well with my work day and home life, but now I must shake up things a little and try to figure out a new schedule.

I plan to mount the power meter on my Felt and use it on my Kurt Kinetic trainer, which is a more realistic road feel compared to the spin bike. Not only must I try to figure out an efficient schedule that will not interfere with my bible study time and my relationship with Cindi, I need to figure out how to balance all the training aspects and recover from each event. I am one of those types of individuals that is comfortable in a routine and doesn't like much change and though I know change is coming and it will be uncomfortable for a while I believe the change will be very positive. I will finally be able to track performance, training stress loads and train within my zones, whereas in the past I was guessing at the training zones by perception of difficulty. More than likely my perception is lower than reality because those upper zones are very discomforting.

Training with a power meter will be a whole new training system to me and I will have a lot to learn. I expect that it will take years to become proficient at utilizing and reading the data, but I look forward to the start of this new journey.

Unlike those who race and often train alone while using a powermeter, I will still continue to do group rides with my friends on the weekends.

No comments: