Monday, July 21, 2008

Riding with Friends

In the previous post I mentioned a new training style, but I look forward to continue riding on the weekends with my friends. I can see and understand why many guys and gals that use power meters desire to train alone because group rides can be so inconsistent at times. Among the reasons are inconsistent speeds, drafting, unexpected events like flats among other things can interfere with keeping a consistent training load. I know that at times in a pace line that I am coasting too much or the draft is taking some of the stress load off or the route doesn't flow too well with constant stops at intersections.

However, I will continue to ride with my friends on the weekends despite these things. I am really grateful to have fallen in with a great group of cyclists that typically form a group of 10 or so the same people. Despite those items that I listed above I can say that at the end of the ride with this group I know that my tank will be empty. This past Saturday was a perfect example with Derek leading the ride and the rest of the group was Diane, Edgar, Neal, Richard, Mike and me. Gary and Peter missed the action this time around. At the end I was worn out, but during the ride I wanted to keep my focus on having a consistent effort throughout with maybe a few antics here and there. The antics were great during those times as we sprinted a few hills as if we were on the Tour de France, but in general we all kept a good pace and the group riding etiquette amongst these riders is absolutely great.

I can't imagine getting to the point of training dedication to give up riding with this group to train alone for 50 to 60 miles. No way for me. I love training and riding with this group and look forward to many more rides with them.

No comments: