Monday, August 11, 2008

New Training Schedule

I now have one week of training with the power meter behind me, but it is not just the power meter that is new. My training schedule is new and yes much had to be changed in order to make this commitment. During the week I am using the Felt road bike on the Kurt Kenetic trainer opposed to the spin bike. The fluid trainer is much harder and though I could turn up the resistance of the spin bike the resistance on the trainer is more realistic and variable.

Yesterday was my first day to take the Felt outside for a little trip down to the Silver Comet and try it out. Since I did a fairly hard ride on Saturday with the gang I was not expecting to be able to hold good power numbers, but once my legs warmed up a bit I was able to hold the speed at what I believed was my RPE (perception) for the lower range of the sweet spot. Until I actually do the test for Functional Threshold I will be using RPE.

I now have a brand new start for a whole new journey. I can tell that this is going to be a great tool and a good start for the next level of training. I imagine that I am going to be a bit worn out each Saturday when I ride with the group, but over a period of months and hopefully next summer I will be able to see a positive difference in my Functional Threshold. I have a lot to learn and a lot of training ahead.

The image below is from my first ride outdoors and was a moderate effort on a flat course and calm air. My goal was to go out for an hour, rest ten minutes and ride back at a sustained speed minus the multitude of stops at intersections and maneuvering around others.


MotionBased Ride Data

No comments: