Saturday, June 11, 2011

Brewery to Carters Lake


Ride Summary (totals):
Distance: 92.15mi
Elevation Gain 3,738 ft
Moving Time: 05:14:24
Avg Moving Speed: 17.5 mph
Max Speed: 35.7 mph

Group: Gary, Mike, Neal, Keith, Tim and me
Neal - Leading the Group
Gary - Photographer and cycling extraordinaire
The Group working well together



Goal: Enjoy riding with friends
Route Description: Small rolling hills, some highway miles and flatter sections

The Ride: Great day with the guys on a 92 mile route from the brewery heading north to Carters Lake and returning a different way. This route was prompted by Neal, who will be heading to France in a few days to enjoy a bit of a cycling adventure and tourism with his wife and some more of our cycling friends. They have trained hard since this winter doing a lot of climbing and miles and now the time has come to go enjoy climbing Mt. Ventoux and some other great climbs. Neal contacts me on Thursday wanting to know if I had a flat route with around 80 miles so I came up with one that was fairly flat and was about 87 miles.

The six of us rolled out at 7 this morning and I was sweating before we even got a mile, but fortunately we had a lot of shady areas on the first bit and the pace picked up quickly. I was the one of the first to initiate the brisk pace because I realized it was going to get hot fast. It wasn't long before the rest of the guys were rolling a good speed and each of us took our turns in the front. I feel like we all worked together today. We had a few brief moments of conversation pace, but for the most part I felt like we were rolling fairly steady.

At mile 61 I had a mistake in my route, which was generated on the computer map. The road was a dead end to a landfill and though I got a little bit of tease from it, the guys went pretty easy on my mistake. Perhaps they enjoyed the road as much as I did. It was new and interesting and added a few more miles. There were other moments when Keith picked up the pace on a couple of highway sections. I looked down at the computer and was hovering around 27 mph in his draft for a number of miles. Said he did not like the heavy traffic, but we enjoyed his turn at the front pulling us at a good pace.

I think around mile 75 I started feeling a bit fatigued. We were not bunched up like earlier and not working as a group. I am not sure about the rest of the guys, but at that point I was tired, my feet were burning, the sun baring down on us and I was ready to finish. It seemed like the other guys were feeling about the same as the conversations were limited. Everyone seemed focused on getting to the end. Well, the good news we all made it safely and I think we all had a great day on the bike. 

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~52 oz.of water with Hammer Heed, Maltodextrin, Glutamine, 52 oz fluid refill (Swampy, I did refill)(1) Hammer gel (1) Cliff Bar (1) Boost drink (1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink . Probably around 8+ Endurolytes before and during the ride.

The Weather: Sunny start @ 77 degrees, sunny end @ 94 degrees, calm air or so it seemed

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap wired

Power Summary: (Based on Coggan's Levels)
Summary Table of Minutes of Duration in Each Training Zone
Level Minutes TSS
      1      4.37      0.61
      2    141.33     86.02
      3    149.48    180.61
      4      9.87     11.97

      5      0.00      0.00
      6      1.03      2.71
      7      7.71     23.96

Overall Power Data
Entire workout (117 watts):
    Duration:      5:17:08 (5:55:43)
    Work:          2199 kJ
    TSS:           305.8 (intensity factor 0.77)
    Norm Power:    158
    VI:            1.35
    Distance:      92.425 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    667    117     watts
    Speed:           0    35.9    17.5     mph
    Pace             1:40    0:00    3:26     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0    51    5     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0    937    127     lb-in
 
Mike - They don't call him Quick for nothing
Tim - normally too fast to get photos of him


Keith - looking calm here, but ripping it up later
Me (Jesse) - bulky and looking quite opposite of aerodynamic

No comments: