Saturday, December 10, 2011

Time For 20's

With December's calendar stacked up with social gatherings (many of them mandatory to attend) training time is taking a hit, but with the effectiveness of training at 20+ minute intervals at greater than 91% of FTP I can rest a little easier that my training stress load will not drop completely.

Actually I am quite happy of how my training went this week using the 20 minute intervals on a very limited time frame. Today (Saturday) I was not able to do my long endurance ride and I will have only an hour to train tomorrow morning.

The last blog entry was the 70 mile ride that took a lot out of me with the sustained headwinds on the return, but here is how the week has gone so far. Please note that I am classified as a recreational cyclists so my power output numbers are still low,  but that is why we train. I desire to be improved for next year.

Monday - trained legs at the gym
Tuesday - 60 minutes total (2 x 20 minute intervals @ > 95% FTP)
Wednesday - 60 minutes total (2 x 20 minute intervals @ > 95% FTP) Training Peaks Upload
Thursday - 60 minutes total (2 x 20 minute intervals @ > 95% FTP) Training Peaks Upload
Friday - Time off from cycling training
Saturday - 60 minutes total (2 x 20 minute intervals @ > 92% FTP) Training Peaks Upload
Sunday - 60 minutes total (2 x 20 minute intervals @ > 92% FTP) Training Peaks Upload

It looks like much of December will be like this, but to be honest I really like doing these short intense efforts. My hope is to keep my CTL from dropping below 70 through the cold months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a productive week! Great to see people using the TrainingPeaks metrics like CTL to manage their training. Best of luck with your winter training!

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks for the encouragement David