Saturday, January 19, 2013

Brewery to Chatsworth

Gary and Mike ready to get it rolling

A few of the group waiting in the cold for a flat tire to be changed












Route:
Distance: 82.6 miles
Avg. Moving Speed:  15.9
Moving Time: 5:11:00
Total Time:  5:36:24
Ride Total TSS: 245 (0.66 IF)
Group:
Mike, Gary, Keith, Peter, Neal, Glenn, Diane, Nancy, Joe, Elizabeth, Susan, Matt, Craig and me
Goal:
My personal goal was to keep a steady pace, reduce drafting, coasting, lower intensity and start getting used to being on the saddle for a long time.
Ride Description:
Ride description? Cold at the start
My description? Absolutely worn out before the ride even started

It was nice to see 13 participants ready to take on an 80 mile route with a starting temperature at 26 degrees F. First ride with Diane, Susan, Joe and Elizabeth in a long while, but unfortunately the way things worked out I spent most of my miles riding solo. There was a flat to be changed in the first few miles that left us waiting in the cold and that wasn't so bad, but I started to get concerned about the long route and the need to get home so I rolled on at a little faster pace after we all started again.

My legs really never recovered this past week and I continued to mound more fatigue on them with indoor training. Every pedal stroke and I felt discomfort and fatigue. It was a real struggle to hold any sort of intensity or speed. At about mile 30 Joe caught up with me and we shared the road until the store stop on 411 in Chatsworth. From there he remained to wait on the group and I rolled out solo for the return miles. Wow!.....those were some tough miles with fatigue and just enough headwind to make it all sting just a little more. I was struggling so much that I expected the group to catch up. On Folsom Road, about 10 miles from the finish, I saw a group coming, but could not make out how many. Glenn, Nancy, Peter and Matt caught up with me.

I was thinking there was no way I had anything left in me to hold on, but I did grab hold of the draft on the back of the line and became really encouraged. Yes, my legs were stinging all the more, but was able to hold on to Glenn's solid pace. Just a few more miles and we were on the rolling hills of Spring Place Road. Glenn put a little bit of a gap on us and somehow I was able to dig deep and span the gap. Next thing we were all regrouped and Nancy took the helm pulling the line at another very solid pace.

I was really happy to finish this first long route of 2013 and hope that the next one I will do a bit better. Everyone in the group looked pretty solid for conditioning as far as I could tell. A good first month of the cycling season.
Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
24 oz from Bottle #1 water, Glutamine, maltodextrin
24 oz from Bottle #2 water, Glutamine, maltodextrin
Hammer gel @ mile 24
Cliff Bar @ mile 45
Post Ride | 30 gram protein drink
Home | Subway sandwich, low fat milk
Bike: 
LOOK 585, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+
Overall Powertap Data: 
Entire workout (126 watts):
    Duration:      5:15:23 (5:36:26)
    Work:          2390 kJ
    TSS:           237.3 (intensity factor 0.673)
    Norm Power:    148
    VI:            1.17
    Distance:      82.577 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    610    126     watts
    Cadence:         8    212    79     rpm
    Speed:           0    30.8    15.7     mph
    Pace             1:57    0:00    3:49     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1327    144     lb-in
    Temperature:     26.6    55.4    42.5     Fahrenheit

No comments: