Saturday, January 12, 2013

Salacoa 70 - Group Ride













Route:
Distance: 72.6 miles
Avg. Moving Speed:  16.8
Moving Time: 4:18
Total Time:  5:12
Ride Total TSS: 273 (0.79 IF)
Group:
12 total: Gary, Mike Q., Peter, Jamie, Nancy, Neal, Glenn, Kit, Matt, Mike, Keith and me
Goal:
Group ride: hang on the best I can
Ride Description:
The opportunity to ride in summer gear in January was building all week and I was anticipating being out on the bike with friends. It's been well over a year since I rode with many in this group and just seeing them in the parking lot with a quick shake of the hand and a smile before we rolled out at 8 this morning. The roads were very wet with rain passing through the night and tapering off just before this ride.

Unfortunately we lost Gary, Mike and Jamie as most of us turned on Addington Road and headed toward the climbs. At the intersection with Salacoa we waited for a good while with Kit and few others riding back to see if they could find them. Our next thought was that they somehow got ahead of us and it turned out they did as I found out later.

Most of the ride and pace seemed intense with repetitive burst over the rolling hills. I was constantly thinking, "just hold on until the crest" and then a small bit of relief just before the next one hit. We did have a number of stops with flat tires (common when riding on wet roads as the tires pick up grime and small sharp objects) and the intensity was not constant. Somehow I managed to hang on until the finish with 7 of the group.

Training wise I am not sure what to think because there were no steady sustained efforts, but it gave my legs another weekend of tests if they can handle those short hard bursts. Talking to Gary post ride I wished I had turned off and rode with them because my goal before the ride was to go at it with far less intensity and be able to train tomorrow. Plus it was my goal to stick with them today.

Still a great day out on the bike because we all finished safely, I did enjoy riding with the group and we got to wear summer gear in mid winter.

It took me over an hour to clean the bike



Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
24 oz from Bottle #1 water, Glutamine,BCAA, maltodextrin
15 oz from Bottle #2 water, Glutamine,BCAA, maltodextrin
Hammer gel @ mile 22
Cliff Bar @ mile 32
Cliff Bar @ mile 52
Post Ride | 30 gram protein drink

Home | baked chicken breast and pasta
Bike: 
LOOK 585, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+
Overall Powertap Data: 
Entire workout (126 watts):
    Duration:      4:21:49 (5:12:58)
    Work:          1979 kJ
    TSS:           273.9 (intensity factor 0.794)
    Norm Power:    175
    VI:            1.39
    Distance:      71.582 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    737    126     watts
    Cadence:         7    246    83     rpm
    Speed:           0    40.2    16.4     mph
    Pace             1:30    0:00    3:39     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1660    139     lb-in
    Temperature:     59    73.4    65.2     Fahrenheit

1 comment:

QuelletCycling said...

Great ride yesterday, my goal was to maintain a winter pace and work my legs on the rollers. Mission accomplish at a good conversation pace.