Saturday, February 16, 2013

Comet - Cool & Windy










Route:
Distance: 37 miles
Avg. Moving Speed:  17.8
Moving Time: 2:05:31
Total Time:  2:08:00
Ride Total TSS: 134 (0.79 IF)
Group:
Solo
Goal:
Just ride!
Ride Description:
After missing several days of training due to long work days it was decision time to either train inside due to cold temperatures and high winds or give a try outside. I ended up waiting until late morning to make the final decision, grabbed my gear, loaded up the truck and headed south into Atlanta to the Silver Comet. I was hoping that the multi use path would help break up the wind and I am sure it did to some degree.

To be honest I could not tell what direction the wind was coming, but it seemed to range from my 12 to 3 o clock for the most part. I caught up with one cyclist and paced with him for a number of miles and then went around. I noticed later that he and two others were shadowing me for a few miles until I hit my interval end and I gave the signal that I was easing up to turn.

Sure enough we were pushing headwinds going out because coming back did feel easier except a few times the winds shifted as in a swirling motion and was headwinds at times. A few moments of hard gust down low about took my front wheel out from under me. It was a really odd sensation since the wind did not hit my torso and felt as if someone shoved my front tire over a few inches. No problems though and I was glad I got outside for this ride.

My legs felt horrible in the first miles and then some of the nagging aches went away until I was closer to threshold and then everything seemed to ache a little. I suppose having a few days off was a good thing since I had about six weeks of fairly consistent training with no interruptions. CTL dropped like a rock though and is down to 75. Oh well not a problem. Threw in a little sprint toward the end miles just to see if the legs wanted to respond to the command.
Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
15 oz from Bottle #1 water
 5 oz from Bottle #2 water, Glutamine, BCAA, maltodextrin
Hammer gel @ mile 15
Post Ride | 30 gram protein drink
Home | Beef burrito, skim milk
Bike: 
LOOK 585, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+
Overall Powertap Data: 
 Lap 1: Mainly Headwinds    Duration:      1:00:02
    Work:          647 kJ
    TSS:           74 (intensity factor 0.863)
    Norm Power:    190
    VI:            1.06
    Distance:      17.316 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    572    180     watts
    Cadence:         8    231    77     rpm
    Speed:           0    23.7    17.3     mph
    Pace             2:32    0:00    3:28     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1154    205     lb-in


Lap 2: Mixed wind direction    Duration:      1:00:05
    Work:          523 kJ
    TSS:           53.5 (intensity factor 0.731)
    Norm Power:    161
    VI:            1.11
    Distance:      18.295 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    795    145     watts
    Cadence:         7    246    70     rpm
    Speed:           0    29.5    18.3     mph
    Pace             2:02    0:00    3:17     min/mi
    Altitude:        862    1059    949     ft
    Crank Torque:    0    1721    186     lb-in




No comments: