Saturday, March 16, 2013

Brewery to HWY 411+

 
GARMIN Ride Data Link
STRAVA Ride Data Link

Route:
Distance: 90.79 miles
Avg. Moving Speed:  17.8
Moving Time: 5:04:56
Total Time:  5:16:53
Ride Total TSS: 229.7 (0.67 IF)
Group:
Solo
Goal:
Extend the miles a bit, steady low intensity pace, keep moving as best possible
Ride Description:
It's kind of interesting that not many years ago a 90 mile ride was considered to me to be an epic type of ride and now it is just an ordinary good weather day out on the bike. I don't feel anxious about it and to be honest don't even really consider it to be much anymore. That is exactly what I wanted to happen when I spent the spring, summer and fall months last year doing longer Saturday rides. It was mainly to change the way I think about them more so than the fitness gains.

So when I rolled out this morning it was just the usual and it was also the usual as it seems for the wind direction. Yep, my out and back was going to have some headwind on the way back and sure enough just like last weekend I spent 40 miles of taking a nice thrashing from the wind on the return. However, the weather today was incredible temperature wise. When I started I went with the summer kit only. The only thing uncomfortable was my fingers were stinging for the first 10 miles, but it seemed to warm up nicely within another hour.

I saw Keith out on my route at about the 40 mile mark and he was on the way back, but I still had a few more to go before my turning point. There was no way to catch up especially fighting with those winds. Big thing on the return was just to keep a positive attitude and this really was not a problem. I was extremely happy just to be out on the bike. My focus was simply stretch the miles/saddle time just a little more and just a few more miles closer to the base of Fort Mountain. It will not be long before the climb is incorporated into the ride on occasion. When it is this will be a little more than 100 miles for the training ride. But I need to keep my TSS (total stress score) and my IF (intensity factor) below 300 so that training on following days will not be impacted negatively.

As I passed by the Sosebee Bike Park I saw a few of the NARC friends and then noticed one of my riding buddies, Jamie waving at me so I stopped. It was great to see Jamie out with the group and they had just finished their ride. Unfortunately Jamie shared the news with me that one of our own, Shelley Chestnut was killed while cycling in the gaps (Neal's Gap) yesterday by a car that lost control. (Details) Hearing that news literally hurt my heart for a moment and the last 6 miles were spent thinking about Shelly and praying for her family. My continued prayers for her family and friends. This is the fourth cyclist in our area to be killed by a vehicle in the past 4 months or so.

In Memory of Shelley Chestnut by Tommy Hanks: BikeAtlanta.net/Shelley
 
Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
24 oz from Bottle #1 water, Glutamine, BCAA, maltodextrin
20 oz from Bottle #2 water, Glutamine, BCAA, maltodextrin
Hammer gel @ mile 20
Cliff Bar @ mile 40
Hammer gel @ mile 60
Post Ride | 30 gram protein drink, carb bar
Home | tuna and pasta
Bike: 
Felt B10, Garmin 800, Quarq Cinqo
Overall Powertap Data: 


Entire workout (127 watts):
Duration: 5:08:56 (5:16:57)

Work: 2326 kJ
TSS: 230 (intensity factor 0.674)
 Norm Power: 148
VI: 1.17
Distance: 90.791 mi              
               Min    Max     Avg
Power:    0      569       127 watts
Cadence: 7    109        71 rpm
Speed:     0    33.8       17.5 mph
 Pace     1:47  0:00       3:26 min/mi
Crank Torque: 0   1412    153 lb-in

 

No comments: