Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pick a Target





I had an internal debate with myself this morning about what I should do. Sit on the trainer and slug out some time or get out to the Silver Comet (rails to trails path) and do an "out and back" with some SST (sweet spot training). After church I grabbed my gear, loaded a couple of bottles, threw on an Outspokin kit (cycling clothes), downed some rice and headed out for the trail.

In order for me to keep my focus (I am ADD) I have this little game I play while I am riding solo at the comet. It's called "Pick a target any target up front will do." If I don't play this game my mind wonders and the next thing I know I am looking at pine cones and stuff and cruising about 13 mph.

I just came out of the restroom at the zero mile marker when two guys down in an aero position come screaming by, which is odd because of congestion at the start and because usually you don't see that kind of pace until people get warmed up a little. But to me these two became my target. I initiated my computers to get it started and without a warm up I put on a solid pace. I could see them way up in front and for the first 5 miles I was starting to think I am not going to catch these two riding SST, but the game was working because I glanced at my power meter and kept a solid pace, but did not go above the L3 zone. Even if I didn't catch them my training goal is being accomplished, but low and behold I am now on their back wheel and they know it. Their effort increased a little more, but I stay right on them and kept in my zone. I mixed in with them and traded pulls, but the stronger of the two dropped his buddy. I looked back and slowed down so that he could catch me. Why? because I pulled his buddy back up to his friend and then went in front of the faster guy. When we got to a slight incline, which is only 3 to 4% around the 9 mile marker they could not handle the pace and I heard one guy tell me as I pulled away, "have a good ride." I thought to myself, "yeah..you too" and now I need aother target for focus.

I went a pretty good distance and saw no targets (Edgar calls them rabbits), but close to the 13 mile marker I saw a group go by me the opposite direction with a guy in the group that I know is a strong cyclists. Hmmm.....I am not at my turning point, but there are some challenging looking targets in that group. I stopped, turned my bike around, got a drink of water and put on the pace to catch them. Again the first mile or more it looked impossible, but for the next several miles I was cruising about 25 mph and I was gaining on them. Two dropped off that group as I went by them easily. Two more dropped off and now it is just the one guy that I know is strong. I see him out there all the time and he is one of those who just hold a nice steady strong pace. He looks back and sees me about a 100 yards off his back wheel and I can almost notice a bit more effort in his legs, but I had a good pace going myself. His little surge in effort hurt him as I easily caught him and went by. I look back and he is on my back wheel. We traded pulls a few turns, but now we are in my favorite spot at the 4 mile marker, which is slightly downhill. I wanted to test this guy's engine so I upped a solid pace and when I looked back he was a long way back, but now the trail is getting congested and I had to slow down due to some walkers taking up the whole path. Because of that the guy is now back on my wheel and at the 0.9 mile marker he rolls on past.

Well no victory for me two days in a row. Mike Quick and Peter on Saturday and now this guy on Sunday. I've got to work on my stradegy and learn to sit in that slip stream until the last moment. :-)

Actually, I am very pleased that picking targets in front of me seems to help me stay focused on the goal rather than just looking at the numbers on the power meter. The point of the ride today wasn't to see if I could set an individual speed record (today I was not close to past performances), but just to stay focused and have a good SST ride.

2 comments:

Josh Boggs said...

Nice ride report! Good one from the other day, too. I check them out all the time on Google Reader.

I just went for a run. Can you believe that?!? Coach Lance has it on the schedule, but my ankle has been shot for a while, so I've sidelined it until today. 2 hours on the trainer tonight, and I'll be done for the day. Whew!!!

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks!
I can't believe you went running being that your ankle was so swollen a week ago. You are on the comeback trail and I know it won't take you long to get back to your previous level.