Sunday, February 15, 2009

Solo Sunday



I am very grateful for the patience Cindi has especially on Valentine's weekend to let me cycle with the guys yesterday and then go out for a solo ride at the Silver Comet Trail. I did my usual L3 Zone (sweet spot training) of 1 hour out, turn, then 1 hour or less back. I was very surprised how my legs felt yesterday and today.

I started with sore legs today, but after a couple of minutes I looked down and I was already cruising in the mid 20's and it felt effortless. Most of the day it felt effortless to hold speed and wattage, which kind of tells me I need to get my Functional Threshold test done soon because it seemed so effortless in the L3 zone.

I still have a goal to finish at the Comet with a 20 mph average in the 2 hour ride. 19 is the best I have done so far and today I finished with 18.8. With fatigue from yesterday and showing some restraint today I wonder if I can reach that goal soon. The challenge is based on foot traffic and intersection stops that I have to make and the time it takes to accelerate back up to speed. I will have to sustain a speed in the high 20's in the longer stretches in order to make up the speed loss due to those obstacles. And a good tail wind wouldn't hurt either.

No comments: