Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sunday Recovery at the Comet

I got an email from Gary this morning telling about soreness in his legs and mine were as well. With Cindi's blessing I headed out to the Silver Comet for an hour out, rest a few minutes and an hour back. For early March the weather was great, but a bit breezy on the way out. Bad thing is I forgot to load my PowerTap computer and had to do the ride based on perception and a watch. This may have been a good thing since I was trying to do a recovery ride. I just kept my heart rate comfortable and the pedal strokes as consistent as possible based on foot traffic and intersection stops. On the way back I momentarily lost my senses when 3 riders came by me at a good speed. I tagged on to the pace line and when we got to a slight incline they slowed down a little so I went to the front and put on a solid pace. This went on for a few miles and I noticed my heart rate rising so I gave the signal that I was pulling off. I kept a good pace the remaining miles and by the end the soreness in my legs were pretty much gone. Success!!

The only data that I have is that I did the first 15 miles in 54 minutes with a head wind and about 48 minutes for the returning 15 miles in 48 minutes. That roughly equates to 17.6 mph average. Not too bad considering I was doing a recovery ride by perception.

No comments: