Sunday, March 29, 2009

Silver Comet Sunday


Because of the weather we missed our Saturday group ride with storms rolling through and on the backside of the front was much cooler wind and high humidity making it a day that indoor training sounds better.

Nevertheless, Edgar and I set out for an hour out and an hour back despite the weather. We also had an opportunity to hook up with Derek as he begins to train again after knee surgery. Edgar is also on the comeback trail and is just now starting to ramp up his training again, but I have to say that he was quite impressive.

A little back story about Edgar. He is my friend that got me addicted to cycling back in 2004 and as a newbie cyclist I struggled to hang with Edgar on the flat Silver Comet trail. Skip ahead a few years later and I still enjoy training on the Comet when I am not with my cycling group. It makes for a good recovery ride after an intense group ride on Saturday's, but since we missed yesterday I had to push the pace a bit harder than a recovery ride. Well to be honest I never really do a recovery ride on the Comet because there is always "rabbits to chase" as Edgar has taught me.

Back to the ride today. Right out of the gate I put on a tougher pace not knowing if that would be too much for Edgar since he has been off the bike for a little while, but based on what I experienced today trying to keep up with Edgar it was like old times, but better. At least now the two of us can work well together pushing the pace and later in the summer some of those snobby racer boys on the Comet may have a little more trouble holding our wheel. Even in the headwinds we were holding in the 20's and on the way back we were holding the mid 20's for long stretches.

As far as what the power meter data was able to inform me after the ride was that this effort on a flat asphalt path was every bit as much as a spirited group ride on our regular hilly roads. Before I left the parking lot I knew I was going to be excited about seeing the data. Being able to get back to the place I started cycling and be riding with Edgar, who got me hooked on cycling and to be able to work with Edgar to swap the pull just makes it another memorable training moment with my friend. Cold feet thawing out under the truck heater on the drive home, but the joy of knowing the elements couldn't hold our pace back today. Now that was much better than sitting in the comfort of home on the boring bike trainer watching the minutes tick.

Well Done, Edgar!!! Great Effort!!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love reading about your rides.

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks Shannon
Like with your blog I also enjoy reading the endeavors of others who in the trenches working it out and making an effort. I enjoy sharing mine as well.