Saturday, April 4, 2009

On Course, Of Course


(click to enlarge images)

(click to enlarge images)



Garmin Connect Data
Gary Quellet designed the course for this week and it was a good route. Stretching out the miles a little more and adding in one challenging climb. The route that also had some good rollers, some flatter road to stretch the legs as Rick Nielsen would say, but with the group we had today my goal was just to hang on the best I could. I also was in agreement with Gary that since we had been doing shorter routes because of a string of weeks with bad weather our endurance training is behind. I was willing to restrain the pace a little and make sure I could make it back to the parking lot.

We started early with a near 40 degree temperature, but I guessed my clothing just about right this time. I started off shivering, but after an hour of sunlight and riding at a good pace my core was pretty warm and I was grateful not be overdressed. Once again my training during the week had me a little fatigued. The first miles leading to Johnson Mountain I was thinking at the back of the pack that this is going to be a tough day hanging with the guys. When we turned on the road for Johnson Mountain it hit me that we were climbing the steeper side. Oh Man!! I was struggling on the steep gradient as the guys pulled away, but I was able to settle down a little and get into my own climbing mode rather than worrying about getting dropped. Over the top and down the hill, my confidence was up a little more today on the descent, but still well shy of careless downhill attitude I once had.

Somewhere between the descent and the climb I noticed Edgar broke off to do shorter miles as he is ramping up his training. At the store stop we enjoyed the time in the sun and the opportunity to replace fluids and carbohydrates. A few minutes into the return back we were about half done, but some of the guys looked determined to get back and we veered off course with the increased pace as I watched the route on the Garmin Edge 705. I was able to get us back on course, but the group broke apart again. I found myself too far off the guys in the back and unable to hold the pace with the guys in the front so I was content to follow the course as Gary had designed. My hope was to complete the training with no less than 70 miles. The course I followed crossed roads the other guys were on as Rick passed me twice, but instead of following Rick I stayed aligned with the gps. I was too weak to stay at their pace anyway and the last 10 miles I had to play it carefully because I could feel my legs were wanting to cramp. The plan from that point forward was to climb slow in a low gear to avoid the cramps, but when I was on the flats I geared up and put on a good pace.

At the end I think I heard most everyone talk about being behind on endurance, but thankfully with the better weather today we can all be happy with the training ride and the course Gary created. We are one step closer to getting the endurance for the up coming century rides in a few months. One step closer to getting ready for 3 State 3 Mountain, but still a lot of training remaining for the next 5 weeks.

2 comments:

Velotigger said...

Nice job Jesse. Makes me feel I was there with you guys. Looking forward to next week, need those miles and you all are great company. -David

The Cycling Addiction said...

Thanks David
It should be a good ride next weekend if the weather cooperates.