Saturday, April 11, 2009

Jasper to Fort Mountain








MotionBased Ride Data


The ride turned out just like I thought in some aspects, but the weather wasn't quite like I had hoped. We had a good strong group turn out for the 80 mile route and just as I expected there was an early break away. I was very happy though and grateful as I type this that I was fixed to my goals for this ride. Several of us did not chase the break away. My goal was to build up some lagging endurance and I knew full well that I could not finish this ride without sticking to this goal. As I watched Rick and others take off I cannot testify for their ride, but for those who were in my group we had a nice training ride. Gary, Mike, Edgar, Paula, David, Jack and me kept a solid pace for us until the store stop at the base of the climb. There we saw Alan, Glenn, Neal and Nancy for a few minutes.

On the climb I was sort of liking the cooler air as my core temperature started rising, but when I finally got to the top I was very surprised that a dense cloud, cold wind was there to greet us and to prevent us from enjoying the summit overlook. When I got there the others had already descended. I could understand why since it was very cold and most of us were not dressed for this, but I waited for David, Paula and Edgar just to make sure they were okay. On the descent it was brutally cold and we noticed that ice or sleet was lightly pelting our faces. I couldn't wait to get off this hill and I was certainly hoping that there was some semblance of sun peeking out below in the valley. Maybe there was a little, but for most of the day it was dark clouds above and some good head winds now and then.

On the big rollers after the descent we met up with Kit and Keith and from there we pretty much stayed together until we entered into Ellijay at our last store stop. By this time of day the traffic had picked up and it felt a little tight exiting Ellijay, but once we got back on Old Hwy. 5 Kit puts on a fast pace and pull. Kit pulls off and now it is Keith's turn at the helm. I was next and I tried to keep the fast theme going, but when I pulled off I realized I was there a bit long and dropped off the back of the group.

The next and last step was the mild three mile climb before entering Jasper. By this point we were kind of spread out along the last stretch, but just as I expected with the variety of level of cyclists it is hard to keep this group together, but then again each of us needs to train according to our own levels.

It wasn't the sunny day that I had hoped, but for an eighty mile ride, dark cloudy skies and cool air the ride seemed to go pretty fast considering all things. I am pretty sure that I am behind schedule on training for 3 State 3 Mountain.

Global Warming?? Where?? I sure have a hard time buying it at this point.

No comments: