Thursday, April 16, 2009

Garmin - Customer Service

It doesn't take long after glancing through my blog that I am a data junky. When I competed in bodybuilding the only way that I could track my training at the time was to keep a hand written training log, but once I got into cycling there was the sweet feedback of the bike computer.

Along came the Garmin Edge 305, which has been one of my most valuable components on my bike. For several years I have tracked my data with the Edge through all sorts of conditions. When I started having some issues with the 305, despite its weathering the elements and me crashing, the computer has logged many miles and hours of training and has also helped me find my way back to the parking lot at times of getting dropped or helping me forge ahead if the pace was slow.

When I contacted Garmin about my trusty 305 they responded quickly and during the time that Garmin had my 305, I stepped up and purchased a 705 since I seem to be directing more group rides lately and the maps help me see the routes better. But I have been experiencing a small issue with the new 705 and though it may be user error or what ever, I have been really surprised by the level of customer service from Garmin to look at my last data file and try to determine why the file was corrupted.

I sent an email to Garmin Support on Monday and that afternoon I started getting emails from Cristin, who is a support representative. We have traded several emails, as well as, the corrupt data file and it appears that she and her team are looking into the matter to see if there is a reason for the corruption and come up with a solution.

So here is my appreciation to Cristin and the support team at Garmin that responded to me and to perhaps thousands of email questions a week with all the Garmin products available on the market. When I was looking into a solution myself and saw complaints on forums from people saying Garmin is non-responsive, I have to say that I am either very lucky, have some special unkown to me priviledge or Garmin is reponsive despite what one or two say and seem more than willing to support the products they put on the market.

Thank You Cristin and Garmin Support!!!

No comments: