Saturday, October 24, 2009

Rod's Rome Ride


Today's Ride Leader - Rod Dubois






Mapmyride Route Link
Garmin Connect Ride Data

The Ride: There was a good group that showed up for this ride starting at Armuchee Middle School. Rod planned the route on roads that were new to me. The first half of the ride was on some of the best scenic roads with the leaves changing colors. The bright burning oranges to deep reds, creeks that paralleled the roads and some bridges. I am typically a guy that has my eyes down on the pavement, but today I was sitting up and taking notice because nature was demanding some attention. Even though it was lightly raining on us the climb up was enjoyable. Edgar and I were well off the back of the group because we could not remember if we shut the car trunk so we went back to check and lost the group. As we turned on Fouche Gap Road NW the road pitched upward again and the real climb started. It was short an intimidating to look at but the effort was not as bad as I had expected. As we climbed around a switchback and looked down at the road below I felt just that much more good about how my legs were holding up.

At mile 25 we had a glimpse of the group ahead. Fortunately they had stopped at a rest stop. When we caught up to them I was glad to be in the group. The pace seemed to pick up a little more compared to what Edgar and I was pushing, but no problem sitting in the group for a little rest and then going up to the front.

At 40 miles we stopped at the store and the light drizzling rain started again. I was getting cold and most of the group was in the store so I decided to go ahead. Gary and Mike decided to go with me. A few more miles down the road and my tire flatted as the main group approaches. I gave them the signal to keep pushing ahead and not stop for me. Fortunately my tire just felt low as if it had a slow leak. So I just had to add a little air and back on the road. I noticed that Bill, Gloria, Nancy, Tom and Neal had stopped for me. We all pushed ahead, but was off the back of a faster moving main group. Again my tire lost pressure and I lost the small group, but noticed Tom was there. Tom and I caught up to Damian and finished the remaining miles at a calmer pace.

This route highly qualifies as a Favorite Ride category.

Group: Probably around 25 people (guys and gals) at various riding levels. Most of the group were the brew crew and who I am accustomed to riding with.

Route Description: Rolling hills, flat sections and one moderate climb with a technical descent.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (1)24oz. bottle with Hammer Heed/10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, (1)Cliff Bar, (1) Hammer gels, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink (unfortunately since I did not eat enough on the ride I stopped and got a hamburger at McDonalds for the drive home, plus 2 glasses of chocolate milk at home and feeding frenzy continues)

Weather: Cloudy and cool at the start, light rain about mile 11 to mile 25 back to heavy clouds and cool breezy air.

Training Goal: Enjoy the weather and the group. Stay at a moderate intensity level.

Physical Condition: Started with some muscular soreness and tightness in both quadriceps and hamstrings. I thought my hamstrings were going to cramp on the first few miles. Not a good sign when starting a 67 mile ride, but everything went okay throughout the ride.

Bike and Gear Used: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap Power Meter.

Power Data:
Entire workout (141 watts):
Duration: 4:12:44 (4:32:56)
Work: 2120 kJ
TSS: 234.2 (intensity factor 0.748)
Norm Power: 172
VI: 1.22
Distance: 70 mi
Min / Max / Avg
Power: 0 / 670 / 141 watts
Cadence: 22 / 244 / 77 rpm
Speed: 2.3 / 31.7 / 16.8 mph
Pace 1:54 / 26:06 / 3:35 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 / 395 / 64 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 / 1004 / 163 lb-in

Gary Quellet

Keith and Glenn

Mick Quick

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent commentary on the ride. Like you, the scenery was too nice for a hammer type pace especially in the 1st 40 miles. The route is definitely a keeper. Kudo's to Rod for picking it. Neal