Sunday, October 11, 2009

Target Ahead

Garmin Connect Ride Data

The Ride: The first few miles were tough as my legs were very stiff and a little sore from riding on Saturday. I had hoped to warm up a little and then try to end with a 0.65 IF, but not only did I push the pace a little harder in solo mode things really picked up once Dave caught up with me.

It was within the last 10 miles from the finish that I passed by three cyclists standing on the side of the road. These guys looked the business, but I just pushed ahead at a moderate pace. There was a part of me that felt as if I had a target on my back and it was a few more miles down the road when I saw at least one of the guys narrowing the gap. Once I turned right onto Cass Pine Log Road I could hear the free spinning of a hub and knew at least one of them was on my wheel. I started picking up the momentum gradually and as I shifted up I could hear the rider behind me shift up. I was trying to hold about 26 mph and between the slight incline in the road and pushing against the wind I approached my threshold. I gave the signal and pulled off to the left.

Dave (as I found out his name later) took the pull and I thought maybe I could get a slight rest in the draft of his power tap equipped Cervelo time trial bike, but he was tucked deeply into an areo position and kept pushing the pace a little harder and making me work instead of draft. My legs were starting to burn pretty good when the road pitched upward a little more and Dave sat up and geared down. I also geared down and hoped the lactic acid in my legs would dissipate quickly. We turned on Grogan, which is a great short fast descent and by the time we hit Busch Drive we were within the last 2 miles. I thought, "one more time" and the guys followed suit. I held the front as long as I could and pulled off again to get in Dave's draft.

One last push to the end.

Most of the time I am looking for the target ahead, but this time it was me and I have to say to Dave, Matt and Ryan thanks for a great end to a great Sunday ride.

Solo: Solo cycling until Dave, Matt and Ryan mixed in within the last 10 miles.

Route Description: Marked BBC 31 mile course with rolling hills

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (1/2) 24oz. bottle with Hammer Heed/10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, (1) Hammer gel, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink

Weather: Partly cloudy with a slight breeze. Great day

Training Goal: I was a bit stiff from riding yesterday so my goal was just try to get in 30 miles at a moderate pace, but once Dave caught up with me the pace picked up a bit.

Bike and Gear Used: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap Power Meter.

Power Data:
Entire workout (162 watts):
Duration: 1:45:38 (1:51:11)
Work: 1015 kJ
TSS: 115.1 (intensity factor 0.813)
Norm Power: 187
VI: 1.15
Pw:HR: n/a
Pa:HR: n/a
Distance: 31.2 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 / 620 / 162 watts
Cadence: 29 / 209 / 81 rpm
Speed: 2.4 / 36 / 17.9 mph
Pace 1:40 / 24:46 / 3:21 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 / 343 / 66 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 / 828 / 180 lb-in

No comments: