Saturday, December 5, 2009

120 Minutes - Done!!

The Ride: I really struggled with not riding outdoors today. I looked at the weather report on Friday with a forecast of light morning rain, snow, and cold winds. I could have coped with the cold and the light snow part, but when I looked out the window and the branches in my trees were consistently swaying in the wind, I started to waver at the thought of going. My goal, if I were going, was to just do the old 27 mile BBC route and hammer as fast as I could, but I know with that kind of wind it could turn out to be a real struggle so I bailed and prepared to go downstairs for 60 minutes on the trainer.

The first 20 minutes I kept a good effort, the next 20 minutes I began to taper off and started to struggle. The third 20 minute interval it just was not happening so I just settled into a lower intensity effort and kept a steady pace for the remaining time. Once I hit the 90 minute mark I started to realize that I was closing in on the mileage that I was going to do outdoors. By this point I kept my focus on that goal. By the time I was done I had exceeded the intended outdoor mileage, my overall intensity factor was probably just high as it would have been outdoors and I was ecstatic about enduring 2 hours on the trainer. Through the duration of training, songs from Cold Play, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins and other upbeat tunes helped me get through it. I emptied out a 24 ounce bottle and had about that much sweat puddled on the rubber mat to clean, but it was one of those efforts that make me have a big smile on the inside.

So glad it is done. Very happy about it even though it is probably just junk miles.

Solo: Indoor training at home.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (1)24oz. bottle with 10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink

Weather: Windy, low 30's and slight morning drizzling snow. Warm indoors with a high power fan barely keeping me cool enough.

Training Goal: First goal was to do 3 x 20 minute intervals, but I was unable to sustain the effort in the L3 and L4 range so the effort turned into 2 hours of "junk miles", but I am still happy with being able to sit and go on that trainer for the duration.

Physical Condition: I did a pretty good effort yesterday in a spin class that probably impacted my effort today. My legs would not cooperate today.

Bike and Gear Used: Felt F-45, Kurt Kinetic Trainer, Powertap Power Meter, ipod Shuffle and a high power fan

Power Data:
Entire workout (147 watts):
Duration: 2:00:16 (2:07:29)
Work: 1054 kJ
TSS: 87.3 (intensity factor 0.662)
Norm Power: 152
VI: 1.04
Distance: 31.1 mi
Min / Max / Avg
Power: 0 / 283 / 147 watts
Cadence: 29 / 141 / 69 rpm
Speed: 0 / 19.3 / 15.5 mph
Pace 3:06 / 0:00 / 3:52 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 / 115 / 61 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 / 358 / 181 lb-in

No comments: