Saturday, December 12, 2009

120 Replay

The Ride: This may have one of the first weekend where most of the group was not thrilled to ride outside including me, but I had another objective as well and that was a return to do another 2 hour effort on the trainer. I slept a little later than usual and got a late start to my morning rituals. I downed 2 cups of cooked oats, did my prayer and bible study time, reflected on the blessings and overcoming some tough job stress lately and then prepped myself in some of my better summer cycling gear. Mainly because of the clothe's technical abilities and the Desoto "400 mile" pad/compression shorts are the best shorts I have ever had. I wanted no excuses because to sit on that trainer and maintain good effort and stay focused one needs to be as comfortable in what will become 120 minutes of discomfort. I broke up the 120 minutes into 20 minute intervals and had a small rest between each. At the 60 minute mark I stopped a little longer to eat a much needed 2 oz of Cliff Bar, drink some water and take a rest room break, but was back at it fairly promptly.

As a recreational cyclist, I know my power numbers presented below are well below CAT level racers, but I felt an improvement over last weekend's effort and the numbers reflect it. Pushing the fluid trainer is much harder than cycling outdoors so I know that if I can improve here I will be improved out there. Last weekend I fell apart in the last 60 minutes, but this weekend I sustained better numbers. Another factor is remaining focused. I used high intensity songs to drive the beat, but if I looked up at a movie on the flat screen that brief loss of focus would cause a big drop in power output. The focus part along with the discomforting feeling of sustaining a certain power zone is a tough task, but I really hope this coming spring there will be a payoff.

Last winter I played the part of die hard cyclist by being out in the worst of weather conditions. Perhaps to prove that I am just as tough as anyone and can endure a lot, but my focus is shifting now. I know I can endure cold weather and have some good technical clothing to endure bad conditions, but when you go through all of that and then upload your data and it turns out to be a short ride in the L2 zone you wonder is it worth it. I may mix it up since I do a lot of indoor training through the week and try to get out and cycle on the weekends, but this 2 hours of pushing the trainer is pretty amazing as well. Besides enduring 120 minutes on the trainer is just about as tough as enduring a bitterly cold ride.

Solo: Indoor training at home.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (1)24oz. bottle with 10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, 32 oz. water, 2 oz. Cliff Bar at 60 minutes, Post Ride Meal Chicken, rice, spinach

Weather: Windy, low 30's. Warm indoors with a high power fan barely keeping me cool enough.

Training Goal: Try to improve my 2 hour power compared to last week. I hope that the output numbers creep upward over the next weeks and months. I would be excited if I can get up to 0.85 IF for a 2 hour effort.

Physical Condition: I started the effort 10 am with a slight headache, which is rare for me, a little dehydrated and a bit lethargic feeling at first.

Bike and Gear Used: Felt F-45, Kurt Kinetic Trainer, Powertap Power Meter, ipod Shuffle and a high power fan

Power Data:
Entire workout (158 watts):
Duration: 2:00:21 (2:16:42 total)
Work: 1138 kJ
TSS: 100 (intensity factor 0.708)
Norm Power: 163
VI: 1.03
Distance: 32.1 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 335 158 watts
Cadence: 32 138 72 rpm
Speed: 0 21.3 16.1 mph
Pace 2:49 0:00 3:44 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 136 64 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 331 187 lb-in

No comments: