Saturday, January 9, 2010

Light Spinning - Coming Back

This has been my longest break from cycling training since starting and it certainly was not something I had planned or wanted, but after dealing with the flu it is nice to get back on the bike this morning. I am at the tail end of this illness and was put antibiotics because I potentially had pneumonia. Last week I could hear the fluid in my lungs with each breath and was told by the doctor to lay off training for at least a week to give my body all the energy it needed to fight this illness. After laying in bed shivering with chills and fever the last week in December, I was more than willing to listen to the doctor's advice. The illness started about December 29th and I just now as of today, January 9th, feel as if I am okay to get on the bike again.

The first few minutes I had some coughing, but after that I seemed to feel fine and did an hour of light spinning between 100 to 150 watts. I can tell I will have to slowly work my way back up to doing high intensity intervals over the next weeks, but I do plan on starting real slow as not to have a relapse of this illness. I want to make sure I am over it for good before I put my body through the physical stress.

Even if I were feeling good all my training would be indoors for a while. We have really had some cold weather as of late. The temperature this morning was 13 degrees making a good day to just stay inside, relax and recover.

I am sure many would agee with me about looking forward to late spring and summer.

No comments: