Saturday, January 23, 2010

My First Ride of 2010


(A few of the group before the ride start)

Garmin Connect Data

I was really excited to get back out for my first ride in 2010 with the gang despite the weather conditions. Gray overcast skies and consistent wind blowing in from the east and southeast between 10 to 15 mph based on the weather report. Before the ride Rick emailed me that he would like to go out to Fairmont and Covington Bridge area with about 55 miles. I was a little nervous about the miles because I had barely started training indoors after a bout of flu and respiratory issue, but I figured I might as well get my training started and I desperately needed to get some time in on the saddle.

The Group: I suppose we had about 13 or so. Many of the regulars and a few new faces. Tiffany and a couple of her friends joined us. The regulars were Edgar, Gary, Bill, Peter, Joe, Tim, Jack was back, Rod, Mike, Rick Nielsen and Rick Cheatam. I hope I did not leave off a name or two. Gary had to turn back early for a mechanical issue with his bike.

The Ride: We had planned a 55 mile route, but that was changed at the 25 mile mark and store stop. Going out the pace was a bit faster and though I felt at times we were pushing against the wind I could see the grass blowing over the direction we were headed and knew the ride back was going to be the head wind. The group stayed together until the store stop, but after that I am not sure what happened. I dropped off the group to ride back with Rod, who had brought an older cruiser type bike and the pace picked up more than what I was wanting to do as well. The 25 miles back were mostly in head winds just as I expected. Not only was my fitness level down, but to also contend with the wind was about as much fun as a kick in the groin. Well maybe not that bad, but pretty exhausting. It only took a few minutes after the ride before my legs and hips started to tighten up. I have a long way to go just to get back to my pre-illness fitness level, much less, start building for the cycling event coming up in a few months.


Messin' With Rick: I always like it when Rick shows up. He is great to ride with and has been a great encourager to me. I also like to mess with him at least once a ride. The conditions have to be right like a slight downhill, Rick is in the front of the group and not boxed in and then I come up out of nowhere and blast past him at a high rate of speed. I don't know why I do this other than just messin' with Rick. However, this really is the equivalent of a wounded gazelle tempting the cheetah. It is a short lived form of entertainment before it is over.

Route Description: flat to small rolling hills.

Weather: Cloudy, high humidity, winds up to 15 mph from the east to southeast

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (1 1/2)24oz. bottles with Hammer Heed/10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, (1)Cliff Bar, (1) Accel gels, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink

Power Data: I am too embarrassed to post it here.


No comments: