Monday, February 15, 2010

Bring Back The Power

Finally the pendulum seems to be swinging back to the positive. Despite this winter being a miserable one in the sense that I had to get over the flu the week after Christmas and then by doctor's orders I did not exercise at all for a couple of weeks. After that I started back with light efforts and my legs felt blocked up (very sluggish), but I got a common cold so I again took it easy for a few days just to make sure I did not get a more serious illness and to give my body more time to heal.

For the past couple of weeks I have been doing short duration low L2 type training indoors and had one outdoor ride (see previous blog entry) that was a struggle.

This week I started picking up the intensity and with each session my legs are starting to feel a little better and I am sustaining better wattage, but I still have quite a bit more to get back to pre-illness condition. However, I feel like I am ready to get out and do my first FT (functional threshold) test for this season as soon as we get some half decent weather.

At the moment I am training twice a day with lower intensities and soon I will ready to start hitting the upper L3 and L4 intervals. Hopefully I will start next week training 2 x 20 minute intervals @ 85% of FT and I am pretty excited about being able to start the sufferfest.

No comments: