Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Things First

(Mike Rhue with some pre-ride bike prep)


(Bill Adkins, Gary Quellet and Diane Rhue)

Garmin Connect Ride Data

Okay, enough whining and moaning about how I was sick a few weeks ago and it took me a long time to get over and even worse my conditioning fell off bad, but now things are starting to get back into the groove. Today was ultra sweet with about 18 riders in the group and best was how bright the sun was beaming. Sure it was a bit cold when I first arrived at the brewery just after 9 am, but that sun was quickly warming up the environment as other cyclists started to pull into the parking lot. I could hear the chatter all around me as they asked each other what kind of clothing to start the ride. Jackets? Vests? Once the peeps got their preferred gear in order we set out.

The Group: We had about 18 or so. The regulars were me, Derek, Tim, Alan, Edgar, Gary, Bill, Peter, Diane, Mike, Jeff, Margaret and David Marion was back with us. A few that ride with us occasionally were Claire, Keith, Tom, Kim and I am not sure of the other guy's name.

The Ride: So why the title first things first? A number of us are lagging behind and have been cooped up either on the indoor trainer or not doing much at all so the first thing we need to do as we prepare for the season is just get some flat to mild rolling hills at a moderate pace. I wanted to keep my intensity down on this ride so I can train on Sunday and I was able to accomplish this in today's group ride.

About mile 20 David and Edgar split off from the group, but from there the group stayed together until we got to Slate Mine Road that has three gravel sections. Rolling through this rough section three of us flatted and we finally asked the group to go on with out us. A little ways in front of us Tom and Keith were waiting for me, Bill and the new guy. From what I was told the group began to break apart and get stretched out in those last miles with various speeds, but I was content hanging back with these guys and more so ending my ride with Bill Adkins at a comfortable pace.

Certainly this was a good day to be out and take our first step forward. The next steps will get incrementally tougher as we begin to add miles and a bit more intensity, but I sure hope we take small steps because it seems that I will need them. Always blessed to have my cycling buddies.

Route Description: flat to small rolling hills.

Weather: Sunny, calm air, start in the low 40 degree (F) and warmed up to the high 50's

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (1 1/2)24oz. bottles with Hammer Heed/10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, (1)Cliff Bar, (1) Accel gels, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink

Power Data:
Entire workout (109 watts):
Duration: 3:03:54 (3:49:25)
Work: 1184 kJ
TSS: 122.3 (intensity factor 0.635)
Norm Power: 146
Distance: 51.524 mi
Min / Max / Avg
Power: 0 / 676 / 109 watts
Cadence: 31 / 244 / 79 rpm
Speed: 0 / 33.3 / 17.0 mph
Pace 1:48 / 0:00 / 3:32 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 / 325 / 47 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 / 776 / 120 lb-in

No comments: