Saturday, March 20, 2010

Armuchee-Fouche Gap 67



Garmin Connect Ride Data

The Group: We had about 18 today in our group. The regulars were me, Derek, Diane, Joe, Nancy, Neal, Jamie, Jason, Keith, Gary, Rod, Mike Rhue, Mike Quick, Edgar, David, Paula, Gloria and her husband.

The Ride: With 18 showing up at the middle school for an early cold start we headed out hoping that we made the right clothes choice for the ride. I was wondering if I had lost my mind wearing a short sleeve jersey, shorts and arm warmers while everyone else had on leg warmers, jackets and vests. I took it up to a higher pace and put a small gap on the group only because I was freezing and I hoped to get my core temperature up. It was only a 12 mile ride before were starting our climb on Fouche Gap Road. The climb is only a couple of miles with some switch backs that makes it look much more intimidating even though it was a definitely an effort.

On the other side of the climb were long fast stretches of road like Sand Springs Road and Big Texas Valley Road. The group put on a good steady pace and at this point I was content to do my turns when needed but also content to get into the draft and hang on with faster pace. At the 40 mile mark we did our store stop and I was grateful to get a bite to eat and rest just a bit. Taking off from the store we were on Gore Sublingna Road for another long highway stretch, but the pace line was more single file and the rotation was working well.

When we turned on Haywood Valley Road close the 50 mile mark, I wondered if I would be able to hang on. By this time I was starting to feel fatigued and this road can be quick, but also has some rolling hills that are stingers. It is also a rough road with pot holes, large rocks and bumps that are hard to see, but still can be a fun road to cycle. With the group kind of bunched up tight on this rough narrow road it was keeping me alert to all the group movements. You get to a point where you want to surge ahead to get out of it, but we all handled it well.

At 63 mile mark and the intersection of New Rosedale Road (Hwy. 156) we stopped for a moment to let a couple of riders catch up. When we started back I hear a call out from the back that there was a crash. Thank goodness it was not a crash, but Jason snap the rear derallieur and could not go further. Fortunately we were only about 4 miles from the end and Rod was able to go back and pick up Jason fairly quickly.

While writing this I confess that I am worn out. There were a number of moments that I thought I was going to drop off the fast pace and then there were moments even late in the ride where my legs had enough to do a good pull. I think as a group we all seem to really like this route that Rod introduced to us last October.Everyone seemed really strong today. It was a great day of cycling.

Route Description: flat, rolling hills, one "gets your attention" type of climb on Fouche Gap Road.

Weather: Very cold start especially with shorts & short sleeves, slight breeze, warmed up nicely with a sunny 70 degree temperature at the end.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (2)24oz. bottle of water with Hammer Heed/10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, (2)Cliff Bar, (1) Accel gel, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink

Power Data:
 Entire workout (103 watts):
    Duration:      3:55:18 (4:23:11)
    Work:          1430 kJ
    TSS:           184.3 (intensity factor 0.691)
    Norm Power:    145
    Distance:      67.577 mi
        Min  /  Max  /  Avg
    Power:           0  /  665  /  103     watts
    Cadence:         29  /  244 /   82     rpm
    Speed:           2.3  /  32.4 /   17.5     mph
    Pace             1:51  /  26:06  /  3:26     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0   / 375  /  47     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0  /  775 /   109     lb-in

No comments: