Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday Recovery - Sort Of


(Mike and Jesse) photo by Gary http://www.quelletcycling.com/

Garmin Connect Ride Data

The Group: Mike Quick, Gary Quellet and Jesse Aldridge

The Ride: Out of the gate my legs were screaming in discomfort and on the slightest incline, oh the burn, but after a few miles at conversation pace my legs began to clear out a little. It felt as if we had small head winds, but still it was very pleasant cycling with just the three of us. On the way back we had some long flat sections and the pace picked up a little and then a guy comes past us. Mike gets on his wheel and Gary and I did not react. Mike dropped off and as we looked up I noticed the guy looked back. Was that sort of the gauntlet being throw down? Not sure, but Gary asked if I was going after him. It did not take me long to answer because after all I was on my favorite stretch of road, Cass Pine Log. My strategy was just to see if this guy could sustain his pace and just see if my steady pursuit would wear him down. He knew we were coming up. I saw his glance back and kept my pace at about 23 to 25 mph. I also knew the wind I was pushing he had to be pushing as well. Mike Quick is now on my wheel and as the road inclined upward a little I could tell this guy was reaching his limit, however after 30 miles of riding today and 60 hard miles yesterday my legs were also at their limit. Mike shoots around and I thought Mike has him now and he could have but he backed off.

Oh well the guy could go home feeling victorious today, but we had a good time in our pursuit anyway. We spanned a fairly good gap to get up near him and that in itself felt like a good accomplishment for a day that was supposed to be just a recovery day.

Route Description: flat to rolling hills

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool breezy air, low humidity, high 50's

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (2)24oz. water, (1)Cliff Bar, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink

Power Data:
 Entire workout (92 watts):
    Duration:      2:19:24 (2:35:02)
    Work:          763 kJ
    TSS:           92.3 (intensity factor 0.633)
    Norm Power:    133
    Distance:      36.55 mi
        Min  /  Max  /  Avg
    Power:           0  /  630  /  92     watts
    Cadence:         29  /  209  /  74     rpm
    Speed:           2.4   / 34.4   / 15.9     mph
    Pace             1:45 /   25:25  /  3:47     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0  /  418 /   43     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0  /  609  /  109     lb-in

No comments: