Saturday, March 6, 2010

Brewery to McGill Mountain

Garmin Connect Ride Data

The Group: I did not do a head count, but I would guess about 15 at the start.

The Ride: We had a good group as we left the brewery parking lot about 9:30 this morning. The route taking us northwest toward Kingston and Adairsville then loop up toward McGill Mountain Road that has a short steep climb and then back down.

About mile 4 or 5 we were on Shotgun Road as we crested a hill I was in front and yelled, "hole" and "car up", but then behind me was the sound that makes you cringe. The sound of a crash and then some distant yells. I looked back and a rider was down. It was Mike, who I do not know very well, but nonetheless we were all very concerned. (see The Accident segment)

We forged ahead toward Kingston and had some rollers with nice long flat sections. One we turned on to Rockfence Road we had several miles of climbing and I could tell then I need a lot of work on climbing. We made it to Adairsville at about mile 27 for a short store stop and then moved on toward the north and another climb at Trimble Hollow Road where my front tire flatted. I asked the group to go ahead, but Tim and Don stayed with me. The remaining miles back were pleasant and I was in good company with Don riding with me. By the time I got back to the parking lot most everyone was gone, but that is okay. Other than the crash it was another good day for my legs to start getting prepared for more extensive climbing in future days.

The Accident: I sure hate to put in this section, but when someone in the cycling group goes down I have to stop just thank the Lord for watching out for Mike, who hit a rather large pot hole and face planted hard on the asphalt. It was a very nasty looking gash on his right cheek. The Bartow County emergency services were called and the group waited as they loaded up Mike for a hospital trip. I thank the Lord for watching out for the rest of the group today as well.

I am mindful that something like this can happen to any of us. There are risks out on the road or on the trail. You do what you can like obey the rules of the road and try to be safe by following good group riding etiquette, but sometimes the accident is going to happen.

I am additionally thankful for:
Nancy Alexander who helped keep Mike down and kept compression on the wound until the EMT's showed up. Nancy talked to Mike during the wait in a very calming way.

Neal Bowers for picking up Mike's bike and for going to the emergency room to see Mike and also giving Mike assurance that he and others would be available if needed.

Route Description: flat, large rolling hills, sustained climbs and one short steep climb.

Weather: Sunny, breezy air, low humidity, start in the low 30 degree (F) and warmed up to the high 50's though for the most part is seemed cool to me.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (2)24oz. bottles with Maltodextrin/10grams Glutamine and BCAA's, (1)Cliff Bar, (2) Accel gels, (1)Post Ride 30gram whey protein drink

Power Data:
Entire workout (107 watts):
Duration: 3:55:16 (4:51:52)
Work: 1469 kJ
TSS: 193.7 (intensity factor 0.713)
Norm Power: 150
Distance: 60.4 mi
Min / Max / Avg
Power: 0 / 535 / 107 watts
Cadence: 29 / 244 / 76 rpm
Speed: 0 / 39 / 15.5 mph
Pace 1:32 / 0:00 / 3:52 min/mi
Hub Torque: 0 / 562 / 54 lb-in
Crank Torque: 0 / 810 / 123 lb-in

No comments: