Saturday, June 12, 2010

Red Bud - 60 Miles

Garmin Connect Ride Data
Distance: 59.17 mi
Elevation Gain: 2,477 ft
Moving Time: 03:16:48
Avg Speed: 18.0 mph
Max Speed: 34.4 mph

The Group: Doug, Peter, Alan, John, Steve, Rod, Jason and me. Later in the ride we picked up Elizabeth and I think the guy's name is Tom.


The Ride: I put out a late email and was expecting to ride either solo or have a couple join me. To my surprise there were eight of us today for most of the route and then later two more joined us. Since I was not expecting a group I did not plan anything special so it was a typical route out to Red Bud again. Flat to small rolling hills would be the best description for today.

I had been ramping up my training all week and I could tell in those first few miles that I was fatigued. My intentions were to keep a calm steady pace for ~60 miles. However, most everyone on that rode with me today are strong cyclists so the pace was up a little higher than I had planned. We averaged about 19 mph when we came to the store stop after about an hour and a half of riding. Before the store stop Rod came back and helped me back up to the group on a couple of occasions. Just before we came to the store we picked up Tom and Elizabeth.

Earlier in the ride I asked the group to go on without me so that I could ride at a calmer pace and after the store I was able to drop off the back and enjoy the remaining miles at a pace that I could handle. I knew the group was going to pick up the pace a bit as well and I hear that they did. Doug dropped back and finished the remaining miles with me.

Even though I was a bit fatigued and could not keep up with the group I did enjoy those who did ride with me today. I think the group etiquette was really nice today and people that were pulling were looking back at least to see if they were at a good pace and not pulling the group apart. Everyone seemed to take a turn doing their work pulling the group and Alan helped me shout the direction up to those pulling in the front.

 The Weather: Hazy and overcast at the start, hot, humid, calm air. The kind of day you can sweat just standing outside doing nothing.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: (2) 24 oz. bottle of water with Hammer Heed, (1/2) Cliff bar, (2) Hammer gel, 12 oz. water refill

My Powertap wheel was returned after being serviced at Saris and I am glad to see my data looks correct again . However, I now need to go back out to test my FT.


Power Data:
Entire workout (134 watts):
    Duration:      3:08:59 (3:23:58)
    Work:          1475 kJ
    TSS:           203.5 (intensity factor 0.817)
    Norm Power:    172
    VI:            1.28
    Distance:      55.287 mi
        Min  /  Max  /  Avg
    Power:           0  /  585  /  134     watts
    Cadence:         29  /  193   / 79     rpm
    Speed:           0  /  34.8   / 17.5     mph
    Pace             1:43 /   0:00 /   3:25     min/mi
    Hub Torque:    0  //388   / 55     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0  /  740  /  150     lb-in

No comments: