Saturday, April 9, 2011

2011 Rose Pedal - 100




Don't let the video fool you. The video only shows a few stretches of downhill sections. I edited out all the climbs because it makes for boring video.


RidewithGPS Data
Garmin Connect Ride Data
Garmin Ride Summary (totals):
Distance: 100.4 mi
Moving Time: 06:27:13
Avg Moving Speed: 15.6 mph
Max Speed: 43.7 mph

Group: With Neal or Mike Quick most of the miles. Gary, Peter, Kit, Glenn, Edgar, Jack, Claire, Paul and many more were out on the roads with us today.

Goal: Rack up some decent time in L3

The Event: This is the 3rd year for the Rose Pedal fund raising ride for Cystic Fibrosis and for the awareness of this life-threatening disease. As I was walking away from the post ride BBQ meal, very good by the way and was catered by Loose Lips Larry, I hear someone shout, "did you have a good ride?" I walked back to answer the question. It was the event organizer and the answer was, "Yes!" Not only yes but a big yes. There are a lot of things that catch one's attention either negative or positive about a cycling event. I would give every thing about this ride an A+.

They had plenty of volunteers, workers at the sag stops, a policeman or two at key road crossings, well painted markings and signs at quick turns, enough portable potty's to support the amount of riders and decently stocked sag stops. I think what impressed me the most is the route. That is why we are there and what is important to us cyclists isn't it? I can only speak for the 100 mile route and for my training needs the route provided plenty of challenge. The scenery wasn't bad either.

To the event organizers, the sponsors, the workers and volunteers, the motorcycle group that was on the course checking on riders, the catering company I say, "Thank You" for putting on this event. I also pray the Lord will bless the effort this event brings to the cause of Cystic Fibrosis. I also hope more of my cycling friends will be aware of this event next year and will join me. The route is one of the best in my opinion of any organized event that I have been on lately in the Atlanta area.
 
The Ride: Taxing is the word that keeps coming to my mind when I think of a one word description of the 100 mile route. Fortunately I have been training with longer distance miles lately and was in good enough shape to endure the miles of rolling hills. As one person called it a "lumpy" ride. I usually do not fare well on continuous large rolling hills so I backed down on my intensity and I am glad that I did. Still a very nice route that started from Creekview High School in Cherokee County and made its way up toward Dawsonville, then northwest toward Hwy 136 where we typically do our training at Burnt Mountain and then south back to the school.

We rolled out with the mass start at 8 am and were in the front few, but that did not last long for me as I need to drop back on my intensity. Some of my friends went on and I found myself riding many miles with Mike Quick as Gary and Peter had a bit more lively legs than we did. I was content holding my own pace, which was not near as spirited and is seen in my power data below. We rode on by most of the sag stops, but on one of them we met back up with Neal Bowers and from there the few of us were ready to finish the last fifty or so miles, but it did not take long for Peter and Gary to get out ahead of us again. When we turned ontoYellow Creek Road we had our first long downward trend and were able to cruise at a good speed. Mike split off from us to reduce a few miles and we turned on Nicholson Road at mile 71 where we hit a few stingers (sharper hills). I hit a decent pace to catch up to the back of a small group, but quickly found out I could not hold on their pace as I used up too much trying to get there. Neal caught up with me and the hills continued mile 80 to mile 92 or until we crossed back over Hwy. 20. We were both content just holding a mild pace to the end and content to get off the saddle after a good day of cycling.

Perhaps my description of endless or relentless hills does not make this ride sound enticing, but I really enjoyed this course. It was challenging, scenic and rewarding. Great ride and as far as I am concerned, Good training today to get my legs and my mind ready for 3 State 3 Mountain coming up in a few weeks.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~52 oz.of water with Hammer Heed, BCAA and Glutamine, 52 oz. Gatorade from refills (3) Hammer gel (1) Cliff Bars, also Fig Newtons at the sag stop (1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink .

The Weather: Cloudy Start @ 67 degrees, Sunny End @ 88 degrees, wind gusts later in the day

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap wired, Contour GPS camera

Power Summary: (Based on Coogan's Levels)
Summary Table of Minutes of Duration in Each Training Zone
  Level   Minutes       TSS
      1     41.20     17.15
      2    178.61    110.70
      3    164.64    189.82
      4      0.00      0.00
      5      0.00      0.00
      6      0.00      0.00
      7      2.73      6.84

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (110 watts):
    Duration:      6:32:01 (6:57:37)
    Work:          2548 kJ
    TSS:           324 (intensity factor 0.714)
    Norm Power:    150
    VI:            1.37
    Distance:      100.556 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    687    110     watts
    Speed:           0    44.1    15.4     mph
    Pace             1:22    0:00    3:54     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0    45    6     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0    1059    129     lb-in

No comments: