Saturday, April 30, 2011

Burnt Mountain - 55

RideWithGPS Ride Data
Ride Summary (totals):
Distance: 55 mi
Moving Time: 04:14:18
Avg Moving Speed: 12.9 mph
Max Speed: 36.2 mph

Group: Jamie, Peter, Neal, Glenn, Edgar, Jack, Rod and me

Goal: Survive

The Ride:
It is hard to believe this is my first 2011 visit to my nemesis, Burnt Mountain. I was glad to join this small group, but I was also dealing with a back injury earlier in the week that kept me from training and wondering if I should be doing any climbing today. Glad I went even though I was a bit sluggish and apprehensive climbing. Toward the last miles the sharp pain in my hip area seemed to dissipate. I think I may able to get back to a normal training week.

Best I could tell everyone did fine. With the exception of Edgar and me, the rest of the gang took a diversion at the summit of Burnt Mountain to tackle the climb on Sunrise. I have yet to go on that road, I think it is one of Neal's favorite places to suffer based on how much he mentions the name. I suppose I will have to give it a go soon. Short and steep is all I know at this point.

For most of the ride it was just Edgar and me cycling together like the old days when he got me started and addicted to cycling. Neither one of us are model climbers, but at least we did make it over and back and even went ahead and came back via Talking Rock to throw in another 3 mile climb and a few big rollers. We did see Elizabeth, Joe and Nancy out training together and were on a rapid descent down the east side of Burnt Mountain.

Not long after we changed and put away the bikes the rest of the gang arrived with smiles. Must have been a good day of cycling for them as well.

Next weekend is 3 State 3 Mountain. I hope I am ready. I hope my hip continues to heal otherwise it may the metric route for me. bummer

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~52 oz.of water with Hammer Heed, BCAA (1) Hammer gel (1) Cliff Bars (1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink .

The Weather: Sunny Start @ 50 degrees, Sunny End @ 78 degrees

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap wired

Power Summary: (Based on Coogan's Levels)
Summary Table of Minutes of Duration in Each Training Zone
  Level   Minutes       TSS
      1      9.56      2.76
      2     70.94     40.79
      3     94.50    103.09
      4     73.21     92.54

      5      0.00      0.00
      6      3.86     12.83
      7      2.56      9.41

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (115 watts):
    Duration:      4:16:38 (5:04:44)
    Work:          1762 kJ
    TSS:           247.8 (intensity factor 0.768)
    Norm Power:    158
    VI:            1.37
    Distance:      55.377 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    477    115     watts
    Speed:           0    38.3    12.9     mph
    Pace             1:34    0:00    4:38     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0    46    9     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0    585    152     lb-in

No comments: