Saturday, April 23, 2011

Brewery To Fort Mountain - 100

For Easter and to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ
Thank You for what you did for mankind and for me on the Cross
That a sinner such as myself can repent and be redeemed through the blood that You shed





Ride Overview:
Distance: 102.5 mi
Moving Time: 07:00:00 (Yikes!!)
Avg Moving Speed: 14.4 mph
Max Speed: 38.3 mph

Group: Me

Goal: Rack up some decent time in L3, stay aerobic and endure the route
 
The Ride: I received a report from Gary and the group who all went to train at the gaps today. The report was 90 miles and almost 9,000 feet of climbing. Wow!! Very good for them, but I am very glad that I did not go. I knew that my training this week would take a toll on my performance today and it did. I had some good training through all of last week and only had Friday off from the bike. The intervals on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were exceptional and for that I am very happy.

As for today I still rolled the dice and gave the 100 mile route from the brewery to Fort Mountain a try. Of course it always starts great, but with this out and back route I had the breeze coming from the south in my favor. What a foe on the return as the breeze turned into a sustained wind. On roads that I could typically sustain mid 20 mph speed, I was down to pushing against the wind and barely hitting 14 mph at times. For 45 miles on the return I was in a direct headwind. But it wasn't just facing the headwind alone that was the battle it was coming out to do a century already fatigued from a great week of training.

No doubt I could not have ended well with the group on the gap ride and I am not so sure it was a wise choice for me to make on my route, but for several days I looked at my TSS in WKO+ and thought that I could pull it off. Evidently I did because I am here writing about it, but the data below does not reflect good performance. I suppose I am still very happy with finishing this route solo. I had to face the wind alone and tried my best to minimize any coasting. I also had many miles to reflect on my Lord and Savior for this Easter Weekend. Grateful to my Lord for changing my heart in 1996 and redemption. I suffered the hills and the wind alone today, but that is not important compared to the suffering Christ did on the cross for sinners.

Oh, and as a knuckle head I failed to hit the start button on my Garmin 705 at the start. I had it in map mode the entire ride and that portion works without hitting start so I never realized it was not tracking my ride. But at least I had my Power meter data and some video.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~52 oz.of water with Hammer Heed, BCAA and Glutamine, 32 oz. Gatorade from refills (2) Hammer gel (2) Cliff Bars (1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink .

The Weather: Cloudy Start @ 67 degrees, Sunny End @ 82 degrees, steady wind from the south

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 705, Powertap wired, Contour GPS camera

Power Summary: (Based on Coogan's Levels)
Summary Table of Minutes of Duration in Each Training Zone
  Level   Minutes       TSS
      1     18.14      7.15
      2    241.31    127.05
      3    163.84    174.39
      4      0.00      0.00
      5      0.00      0.00
      6      0.00      0.00
      7      0.29      0.53

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (109 watts):
    Duration:      7:08:24 (7:42:19)
    Work:          2775 kJ
    TSS:           292.6 (intensity factor 0.648)
    Norm Power:    133
    VI:            1.22
    Distance:      102.581 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    455    109     watts
    Speed:           0    38.3    14.4     mph
    Pace             1:34    0:00    4:11     min/mi
    Hub Torque:      0    35    7     lb-in
    Crank Torque:    0    628    140     lb-in

Training Week Summary
Total Time: 10:34:36
Total Miles: 152 (102 today and 50 training indoors)
Total TSS: 500
Total kj (kilojoules): 4683 

No comments: