Saturday, October 1, 2011

Brewery to Cagle Road - Impressed, Impressed

Ride with GPS Data
Garmin Connect Data
Summary
Moving Time: 4:39:47
Distance: 81.8 miles
Avg Moving Speed 17.5 mph
Elevation Gain: 3,166 ft

Group:   Jamie, Chuck, Diane, Mike, Tim, Bill, Craig, Michael, Alan and me
Goal: Enjoy riding with friends

The Ride: Generally speaking I am very fortunate to have a good number of impressive cycling friends and though it seems that some days I end up with a different mix of those friends I am impressed by all of them.

This week I was impressed when I received an email from Diane stating an interest in my 80 mile route because I knew there was a prediction of heavy winds coming from the north and it was going to be a cool start. Sure enough 10 of us rolled out this brisk feeling morning with the winds seeming to be stiff and sustained, but no one backed away or griped about  having to push against those winds for 40 solid miles. Another thing that impressed me was the speed the group was going against the winds. Most everyone took good turns at the front and I know my times up there it was some really good training time pushing and pushing against that wind. Impressed with the group!

We did a store stop at the Marathon and our 40th mile with just about everyone looking forward to the potential tailwind on the return south. For a few of those miles we were getting hammered by the cross winds. I felt as if my bike was heavily tilted to the right to compensate for the wind. It was almost like leaning my shoulder against a wall a couple of times.

By this point I needed to go ahead of the group and try to make it on home so I set out on a fairly solid pace and even though the tailwind was helping I was still maintaining a solid effort and putting some torque on the cranks. Alan and Craig caught up with me. Impressed! The three of us had a decent rotation and kept up the sustained effort until the Sunoco gas station where Alan and Craig peeled off to get their bottles refilled. I pushed on without stopping and again kept a decent pace in solo mode.

But here is where I was stunned an amazed because about 6 to 8 miles from the end I look back and see a cyclist coming. I just thought it was another solo rider, but then I looked again and then looked again. I had to do a triple take because it was Alan coming up on me. I was so impressed that he did a store stop and still caught up with me. He said he had to work hard to catch me, but believe me I was not really slacking around. Alan is 69 years old and probably one of the most amazing cyclist I know and get to ride with on occasion. The two of us continued to push those final miles just about all the way to the end and then we turned around and headed back out to let our legs cool off and spin easy. I am very impressed with how Alan was able to catch up to me. I was also impressed how Bill, now in his 70's, did on our ride today. It wasn't long before the rest of the group rolled in. Mike, Diane, Jamie and Chuck stretching out the miles each week and increasing their speed and endurance. Plus we had a couple new visitors riding with us today. Craig also did a good bit of time pulling in the wind and was there with me and Alan at the finish.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~48 oz. of water with Hammer Perpetuem, BCAA's, Gluatamine ~10 oz. water with BCAA's, Gluatamine (1) Cliff bar (2) Honey Stinger gel(1) 40 gram Whey protein post ride recovery drink , grilled chicken sandwich post ride meal (about 1 hour after the ride)

The Weather: Sunny, Start @ 50 degrees, End @ 63 degrees, 10- 15 mph winds from the north

Bike: LOOK 585, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Power Data:
Entire workout (134 watts):
    Duration:      4:44:10 (5:04:40)
    Work:          2293 kJ
    TSS:           312.1 (intensity factor 0.812)
    Norm Power:    167
    VI:            1.24
    Distance:      81.812 mi
    Elevation Gain:        2255 ft
    Elevation Loss:       2240 ft
    Grade:         0.0 %  (21 ft)
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    688    134     watts
    Cadence:         7    246    84     rpm
    Speed:           0    35.1    17.3     mph
    Pace             1:43    0:00    3:28     min/mi
    Altitude:        657    923    767     ft
    Crank Torque:    0    1398    145     lb-in

No comments: