Saturday, May 26, 2012

Brewery - 88 Miles and Suffering

Garmin Connect Map & Data
Ride with GPS Map & Data
Ride Summary
Moving Time: 5:18:14 (5:48:02 total)
Distance: 88 miles
Avg Moving Speed 16.6 mph
Elev. Gain: 2,398 ft

Solo
Goal: Training Endurance, trying out the Felt B10 on a longer distance

The Ride: When I woke up at 4 a.m. to do a bible study and prayer time, eat a bowl of oatmeal and prepare the bottles I knew this might be a rough day, but went forward because that's what we do. It was getting out of bed and feeling an upset stomach, lower back and hip pain that gave me this initial feeling of a potential rough day.

It was great to see Edgar and Jack preparing to roll out for the marked 48 while I was meeting Craig at the brewery for a 7:30 a.m. start on the out and back route. I wasn't sure how many miles, but I wanted to try for 80 miles using the Felt. We made it a 1/2 mile when my front tire blew. I  had trouble the night before trying to mount a new Michelin Pro 4 front tire. The tire bead kept popping out of the rim, which in turn would blow the tube. Craig and I talked and thought it was best for him to go ahead. I fixed the flat and went back to my truck to exchange for a backup front wheel.

The ride going out went really smooth. The temperature was still cool, but I knew with the tire issue it was going to push me into the hotter temperatures later and it did. Still working on building up my fitness that I lost from vacation a couple weeks ago I did not push higher intensities and just used the time to gain more experience riding down in the aero position. It worked as I started feeling more comfortable pushing up the speed more. I kept thinking that if Craig was on this same route I would just turn at the point of meeting up with him, but once I was on Cagle Road I started thinking he either went really long miles or did a different route. So I thought it best that I turn due to the coming heat.

For most of the ride back I felt pretty good, but at mile 70 I started feeling the effects of heat and from that point the ride became a struggle. Plus the upset stomach that I mentioned earlier that I had before leaving the house this morning - yeah it was getting worse as well. The last 18 miles were tough the manage between the heat and fluid intake with a sour belly. No need to whimper about the discomfort. The way to get out of the heat was keep pushing forward until I hit paradise - Sosbee Bike Park. There I was able to sit on a bench in the shade for a moment and run some cold water over my head and neck. Wow! that really helped and the last few miles were all that were remaining. Back at the truck I was feeling exhausted and sick. On the drive home it was all that I could do to stay awake and upon arriving at home, dumping my equipment as quickly as possible and fall into to bed. Instantly I fell asleep for a short period. I don't think I felt like that in a long time. Between the heat, upset stomach and losing fitness recently this was a tough day, but the only way back is to push forward with determination and desire to improve.

Now that I am rested a little I am looking forward to the next training event tomorrow and/or Monday.

Thanks so much for the folks that put in Sosbee Bike Park. I will continue to donate to keep it going.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course:
24 oz from Bottle #1 of water with maltodextrin, egg protein, BCAA's, Gluatamine
24 oz from Bottle #2  water, BCAA's, Glutamine
24 oz from Bottle #3  water, BCAA's, Glutamine
Mile 30| Hammer Gel
Mile 40| 1 Cliff Bar
Mile 70| Hammer Gel
Finish | 40 gram whey protein drink
Home | Chicken salad and skim milk (because of the nap I did not eat until 2 hours post ride - not good)

The Weather: Sunny skies at the start @ 66 degrees, on the return @ 90 degrees, breeze from the west.

Bike: Felt B10, Garmin 800, Powertap SL+

Overall Powertap Data:
Entire workout (112 watts):
    Duration:      5:23:25 (5:52:21)
    Work:          2169 kJ
    TSS:           241.8 (intensity factor 0.671)
    Norm Power:    141
    VI:            1.26
    Distance:      87.673 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    530    112     watts
    Cadence:         8    225    75     rpm
    Speed:           0    33.5    16.3     mph
    Pace             1:47    0:00    3:41     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1510    132     lb-in


Extras
Still working out how I would like this bike to be setup. Since I do not race I don't need to be super touchy about fine tuning every little detail for wind resistance. Typically the torpedo bottle mounts are above the bar, but for me and how I want to use this bike for training using power output the location of the computer is important so that I can see the display while down on the pad. So I am experimenting with this bottle location and during today's ride I really like the location. It was out of the way and yet very easy to pull the bottle out while being down on the pads. So maybe there is a little more drag with it hanging below, but it is much easier to access than the seat tube mount. Plus having the Xlab Superwing rear mounted system gave me a total of 3 bottles for today's ride. I refilled one of the bottles again just to make sure I had enough on this very hot day. I modified a Pro Vibe bottle cage and used zip ties to connect to the bar extensions.

The computer mount is a simple piece of PVC cut to size and painted white. See my post on DIY aerobar mounts for a very inexpensive method. However, I do plan to move the Garmin 800 down to a level area on the back of the bottle cage so it will not be angled up like in the pictures below.


My Version of a Torpedo Mount Below the Bars


No comments: