Sunday, May 20, 2012

Felt B10 - Test Ride

Ready for the first trial run


Garmin Connect Map & Data
Summary
Moving Time: 2:15:47 (2:15:47 total)
Distance: 40 miles
Avg Moving Speed 17.7 mph
Total TSS: 130
 Total IF: 0.75

Solo 

Goal: Fit test ride for the Felt B10

Test Ride:
I want to be clear that this is not an official review of the Felt B10. I have never raced in a time trial or triathlon. This is my first ever ride on a dedicated time trial bike. What I want to do is record my first experience based on perception of fit and performance. I do have plenty of ride metrics collected from the power meter and Garmin 800 gps unit as shown, but without having extensive experience with time trial bikes the data may not prove useful. Plus this test ride was performed at the Silver Comet and was too congested to perform any full out performance tests. What this ride was to me was really two things. Make sure the Fit was good and to start getting used to being down in the aero position. My confidence in handling skills was very low on this first ride. I often sat up with hands near the brakes as I approached families and kids. Otherwise my average speed for this ride may have been higher. If I were to take this bike to a sub maximal or L4 effort the speed would have been far too dangerous for this multi use path. This bike can really take off quickly with a little torque applied.

Saddle: Cobb Cycling V-flow Plus
I have used Fizik Arione saddles on all my road bikes and have been very happy, but I knew that my position on this bike would be totally different. As I studied different aspects of time trial and triathlete setups it seemed there were a lot of good comments regarding Cobb Cycling's saddles and Curtis had those in his shop at Cannon Cyclery. The roll of the dice turned out good for this first forty mile test. It felt good to me from the first mile to the finish. On the web you would see comments that it took a small tweak or two to get it dialed in. I think mine is dialed in now, but I need to test it on a 100 mile route just to be sure. For now add me as another happy Cobb Cycling saddle owner. Fit wise, I believe Curtis got the position and height right for me.

Drive Train: SRAM Red and Force
I have been very pleased with SRAM Red on my LOOK 585 so I asked Curtis to build this bike up using a blend SRAM. We used the higher end Red components where it was important and used Force on less important components to save on the budget. It certainly turned out nice. Curtis certainly has the shifting tuned to a buttery smooth and precise shift. The TT500 shifters are a little stiff, but I expected this based on reviews. I did not have any trouble shifting as my riding experience progressed just during this 2 hour test ride. There was a little noise coming from somewhere. It sounded like it was from the crankset, but I think it may be my front hub. Other than that the drive train seemed really nice.

Aero Bars: Felt
The bars came with the frame purchase, but what is important about this review is the fit. This was the area that Curtis spent the most time changing the pad height and changed several stems. He was concerned about my wrists on the S-Bend extension bars, but I think they will be okay. Perhaps maybe not as comfy as a Ski Bend extension bars, but my wrists were more inline or not as bent during the test ride as they seemed to be during the fit session. My position with my elbows down on the pads was setup to be a little more toward the comfortable side than be in a deep aero position. Based on this first test I think with my neck flexibility, or lack thereof, that is as low as I can get and be able to see safely in front of me. If anything I may need to come up just a touch more, but I think instead I am going to do some more work on my neck and my chiropractor showed me how to do this therapy.

Performance:
As stated before I could not really do a full out test today being on a multi use path, but it wasn't just that. I need a lot more hours of getting comfortable riding in this position. I simply did not have the confidence in my handling skills to really punch it. However, I could still tell the difference of this bike compared to my road bikes. The Felt B10 is no doubt heavier than my LOOK 585 (15 pound bike), but I experience the aero effects of the time trial bike for the first time and have read so many articles stating that the aero effects out weigh the weight issue. I believe it does for sure. This bike seemed to just cut through the air as if the only wind resistance was me. I opted to go with the Xlab rear mounted hydration system. There were a few stretches of open pathway that I felt confident to open up the engine a little. The bike just seemed to go and it wanted to go even more. I was the one holding it back with my lack of confidence. I certainly need a lot more work and hours of training to keep it in a straight line and will only use this bike when I am training solo. The only time I was near someone was a brief time when another cyclist (Stephen) came around me and we stayed at the same pace for a while, but I can see why these types of bikes are not good in a group setting or the person should not be down in the aero position is that you cannot see good enough to make a fast avoidance.

Summary:
This test ride served me in a sense that I believe Curtis (Cannon Cyclery) did a fine job fitting me to the bike, the bike performed well with shifting and I felt pretty good about my future potential on this bike to perform well and yet be comfortable enough to use it for consistent training. I was also a little concerned about going with a 53/39 chain rings since I have been using compact 50/34 for most of my brief cycling years and yet on this first ride it went well. It will be a bigger challenge once I get out to the rolling hills.

The bike is good enough for this recreational cyclist. It is just a matter of me stepping up to the level of the bike and pushing it a little harder.

Nutrition Intake During and after the Course: ~45 oz. of water with BCAA's and Gluatamine (1) Honey Stinger Waffle (1) Post ride 30 gram whey protein drink (1) chicken salad sandwich at home 60 minutes following ride

The Weather: Sunny skies, slight breeze & headwind going out, 81 degrees


Power Output

 Lap 1:
    Duration:      1:09:20 (1:09:57)
    Work:          615 kJ
    TSS:           70.7 (intensity factor 0.785)
    Norm Power:    165
    VI:            1.11
    Distance:      20.006 mi
    Grade:         0.1 %  (125 ft)
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    482    148     watts
    Cadence:         7    246    75     rpm
    Speed:           0    25.5    17.3     mph
    Pace             2:21    0:00    3:28     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1745    176     lb-in


Lap 2:
    Duration:      1:06:15
    Work:          541 kJ
    TSS:           57.3 (intensity factor 0.72)
    Norm Power:    151
    VI:            1.11
    Distance:      19.999 mi
    Grade:         -0.0 %  (-51 ft)
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    608    136     watts
    Cadence:         7    246    73     rpm
    Speed:           0    26.4    18.1     mph
    Pace             2:16    0:00    3:19     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1647    167     lb-in


Entire workout (141 watts):
    Duration:      2:16:47 (2:21:30)
    Work:          1157 kJ
    TSS:           129.3 (intensity factor 0.754)
    Norm Power:    158
    VI:            1.12
    Distance:      40.095 mi
    Grade:         0.0 %  (70 ft)
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    608    141     watts
    Cadence:         7    246    74     rpm
    Speed:           0    26.4    17.6     mph
    Pace             2:16    0:00    3:25     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1745    170     lb-in

No comments: