Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fort Mountain Bound

Garmin Connect Map & Data
Ride With GPS Map & Data

Group: Gary, Mike Q., Mike P. and me

Ride: This was my first day back on pavement following an eleven day break from cycling training and a vacation at the Florida Gulf Coast beach for about a week. I was excited about today for several reasons. This was my first ride with Gary in many months. It just so happened that our goals for the day seemed to line up. Gary has been focused on training for mountain events and I have been doing something a little different down on the flatter roads. The route was going to be from the brewery out to Horn Mountain, which is about an eighty mile route. The second reason I was excited was getting back into the groove after the long break, but at the same time I was apprehensive. I did some short interval sessions this past week training indoors and overall I really felt rough. So I wondered if jumping right into a challenging eighty mile route with guys that are in good fitness was a smart thing to try.

The weather was really nice as Gary, Mike Q. and me rolled out of the brewery at 7:30 a.m. heading toward Adairsville to join in with Mike P. and go on from there toward Horn Mountain. Unfortunately Gary had a pinch flat that could not be repaired and none of us had tubes with stems long enough to work with his Zipp 404's. Mike Q and I headed back to the brewery with Gary waiting for Mike P. to come back to pick him up.

On the way back and with only about 30 miles on my legs I could tell my fitness was off especially as we were climbing up the 75 hill, which is a stinger of a road that parallels I-75. I know it was a bummer for Gary to have a pinch flat like this and to be stranded for a short period, but for me I think it kind of worked out to limit my miles. I probably could have made it through the 80 mile route, but I believe those last miles would have been painful. Lot's of work to be done to bring the fitness back up. Maybe I will be ready the next time I get to join Gary and Mike for the Horn Mountain route.

I am really excited to get the Felt B10 out for the first time tomorrow.

Bike / Equipment: LOOK 585, Powertap SL+, Garmin 800

Nutrition Intake:
Bottle #1 - ~13oz. BCAA's, Glutamine, Maltodextrin, Egg Protein
3/4 Cliff Bar
1 Hammer Gel

Entire workout (117 watts):
    Duration:      2:44:34 (3:20:18)
    Work:          1157 kJ
    TSS:           168.4 (intensity factor 0.785)
    Norm Power:    165
    VI:            1.41
    Distance:      39.6 mi
        Min    Max    Avg
    Power:           0    515    117     watts
    Cadence:         7    231    76     rpm
    Speed:           0    36.4    14.5     mph
    Pace             1:39    0:00    4:09     min/mi
    Crank Torque:    0    1172    138     lb-in
    Temperature:     55.4    80.6    66.7     Fahrenheit

No comments: