Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wahoo Fitness and WKO+ - Importing Data



Just the other day my Garmin 800 touch screen stopped working so while waiting on a warranty replacement 800 I am using my Backup Contingency Plan, the Wahoo Fitness iPhone ANT+ case to collect training data from the Powertap hub.

Earlier this year I had no issues for importing data from the phone even though it is not a one step process. Previously the process to import data to WKO+ (the application that I prefer to keep and analyze training data) was to upload to TrainingPeaks.com and then within WKO+ use Download from TrainingPeaks.com that is a menu item under File. This is a few extra steps from the rather simple upload of the Garmin 800 using the Device Agent in WKO+.

However, I was struggling last night to use this process of uploading to TrainingPeaks.com and then download back into WKO+. I spent an hour messing around with my account at TrainingPeaks.com and checking settings with WKO+, as well as, searching through product support pages at TraningPeaks, Wahoo Fitness website and general web searches with not much luck. I kept getting an error dialog message in WKO+ when trying to download from TrainingPeaks that was something like Character cannot be null along with some other jibberish that implied that my password was not syncing or incorrect.

Finally with some more web searching I finally found out that it was not a problem with my account settings on WKO+ or TrainingPeaks.com. It was due to the folks at TrainingPeaks making downloading from the website to WKO+ only availabe now to Premium Members (paid members) or at least that is what I finally found by continuing to search the web. So then I sort of panicked because I am a numbers freak. I was about to do a manual entry in WKO+ (which leaves out some factors of the training session) when I thought I would check the settings on the iPhone app one more time. Low and behold there it was right in front of me kind of like when I ask my wife if she has seen my brown casual pants and she pulls them out of the closet while I am looking straight at them the whole time. So I don't have to become a paying Premium Member of TrainingPeaks after all, but there is a slight hiccup to the upload method that I will mention later.

The process is rather easy actually and here it is if you are using the Wahoo Fitness App. Which is a pretty decent app for tracking ride and power meter data and it is free.



1 . From the Wahoo Fitness app go to the sharing page and email the workout data to yourself.


2. You will receive a few files (CSV, PWX, TCX and I think a GPX not shown in the image below). I placed those into my WKO+ folder data because that is where WKO+ seems to default when opening a file)




3. While in the WKO+ application I opened the PWX file and it imported the data nicely with one exception. It appeared that all the metrics were imported except distance for whatever reason, but I am more than content to have the power metrics imported so that it can be applied as part of my PMC (Performance Manager Chart) and I am once again happy with looking at numbers and charts. Easy enough for now and with hopes that the peeps at TrainingPeaks do not continue to throw in the monkey wrench for us dedicated WKO+ users that would rather not become paying Premium Members. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but my wallet is kind of light and I just personally like WKO+ better as an application.


Meantime I will be anticipating receiving a new Garmin 800 very soon. That is another story in itself when my 800 failed over this past weekend and I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the customer service at Garmin. Extremely impressed at how fast they responded to all my emails during this past weekend. By Monday I had a RMA number to return the device under warranty for a replacement. Below are a few emails (some are not shown in the screen capture) that I received that started within an hour of sending the first email for help.




No comments: