Sunday, March 16, 2014

Motorola S11-Flex HD

Why am I presenting a headset on a cycling blog? Anyone that train indoors can relate that the sound levels that can be rather high in decibels combining the trainer or rollers, fans and TV or music. For the past few years I have been cranking the TV up loud enough to hear over those devices that it could be heard outside the house and even in the room upstairs where my wife would be watching TV.
 
Finally it hit me that it would be a worthy investment to rig up a wireless signal to a headset since the sound of the fans and rollers cannot be heard outside of my training room. Once I had the SD-11 headphones paired to the TaoTronics Bluetooth transmitter and muted the TV, I realized this was a good investment into making the indoor training a bit more pleasurable to me and more importantly my wife will now be much happier.
 
Just a few thoughts from my first experiences:
 
Sound:
iPhone connection and music sounds pretty good when the ear buds are placed into the ear canal properly. The sound from the TV is not as good, but still adequate for my needs. There is just a slight lag in the transmission between the TV and the headphones, but with intense training the discomfort of intervals and eyes somewhat glazed over I doubt the lag will be much of a concern.
 
Transmission:
My bike sits about ten feet from the TV and the signal is plenty strong with no cutouts from the TaoTronics transmitter. I walked up stairs through a few doorways and the signal was still strong. The signal started to drop a bit once I walked to the back of the house, which was a good distance from the transmitter with several walls, a floor, and doorways.
 
Fit:
I have to wear reading glasses while training in order to see the small Garmin 500 screen. The headphones sit above the glasses frame and yet the back band of the headphones sit low on the back of the neck so that a cap or if outside would be below the helmet. (I never ride with headphones on outdoor rides on open road for safety sake) The headphones stay in place with moderate movement and I doubt I will be doing aggressive sprints in indoor training. I tested jumping around abruptly and the headphones did not move at all.
 
Durability:
The marketing from Motorola states that these headphones were designed for exercise and sweating. The USB charging port is sealed by a small rubber gasket closure. The one concern that I have at the moment and a few owners stated on Amazon was the back of the neck band breaks easily. It does have a fragile feeling when handling the headphones. Durability and or reliability is something I will have to report back at a later time and with some extensive use.
 

 

Headset, charging cable, extra ear buds in various sizes and option head band



USB charging port

Power and pairing light

The ear buds are slightly adjustable in extension and swivel


TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter
 
TV RCA Output


TV Sound is muted and headphones are working well over the sound of the fans

No comments: