Saturday, November 14, 2015

CVCA Fall Colors Ride - Solo


A few of the ride support before we roll out



Chris McCormick (black jacket with red shirt), ride organizer before the start


Rolling out the first sag with one of the groups







Route and Ride Data Links:

Strava - Ride Data

Overall Ride Metrics:

Distance (miles): 50
Avg. Moving Speed (mph): 15
Moving Time: 3:25:16
Total Time: 3:44:31
Ride Total TSS and IF: 200 / 0.766

Group or Solo:

Solo

Goal:

Endurance Type Ride

Ride Description:

First, I have to give big kudos to Chris McCormick, Patti, those supporting the ride and the CVCA for organizing this Fall Colors ride. They did an excellent job and did not collect any fees that I know. I wouldn't have hesitated making a donation. The CVCA volunteers were one of the best and friendliest that I have seen in an organized ride. Thanks again to Patti for following me and providing a ride at one point. 

It was a ride that I had a tough time deciding to do because of the drive time, but once I was there I was eager to ride with the group. However, that's not what happened. As we rolled out and in the first mile I pulled my phone out of a rear jersey pocket and it pulled some stuff out with it. Someone gave me a notice and then the panic started because that was the jersey pocket that I first put my car key fob (push button start and it will not start without the fob). I did not feel it and started to panic. I spent about 15 minutes rolling back and forth up this first stretch of road. I felt all my pockets and emptied them, but with glove liners on I did not feel it. I took my gloves off and felt it over in another pocket, which I don't remember moving it over to that pocket. Such a relief..........


At this point the fast and slow groups have at least a fifteen minute gap on me. I figured there was no way of catching the fast group, but I put on my best pace hoping to catch the second group. What a blessing to have Patti as a sag driver following me as I tried to catch up. This being my first time on this route and putting in almost 20 miles of my best pace I was starting to fade a bit, the wind was getting stronger and the hills more popular. I stopped and asked Patti and she knew we were just a few miles from the first sag. I had used too much energy in the chase and began to doubt I could keep it up so I asked Patti to take me to the first sag where I saw the slower group. It turned out that I was just about a mile away and one gnarly hill from catching them. 

I ended up going ahead of the group out of the first sag on the shorter route. There was not much to describe after that point. I sure feel worn out for a 50 mile ride when I looked at the power meter data for the chase time it was about a 19.5 mph average for almost an hour and about 90% of my FTP. No wonder I felt worn out in those last couple of hours. 

Great day out on the Fall Colors Ride even if I ended up solo.

Weather:

Temperature Start (F): 40
Temperature Finish (F): 58
Wind: 8 mph NW (variable to gusty and difficult at times)
Sky: Sunny


Nutrition Intake During and After:

24 oz from Bottle #1 water, BCAA, Glutamine, maltodextrin
24 oz from Bottle #2 water, BCAA, Glutamine, maltodextrin
Hammer gel @ mile 22
2 oatmeal cookies at the sag stop
Post Ride | 30 gram protein drink, couple slices of pizza

Bike:

LOOK 585,  Garmin 800, Powertap G3

Overall Power Data (from WKO+):

  
Entire workout (127 watts):
Duration:   3:25:16 (3:44:31)
Work:       1558 kJ
TSS:       200.2 (intensity factor 0.766)
Norm Power: 159
VI:         1.26
Distance:   50.608 mi
Min Max Avg
Power:       0 573 127 watts
Cadence:     1 254 66 rpm
Speed:       0 31.8 14.9 mph
Pace         1:53 0:00 4:02 min/mi
Crank Torque: 0 1759 163 lb-in

No comments: