Sunday, August 26, 2018

Sunday Solo Cruise - mostly

Route and Ride Data Links:

Strava - Today's Route

Ride Metrics:

Distance (mile): 40.2
Speed (mph): 17.5
Cadence (rpm): 72
Time Moving: 2:15:34
Time Total: 2:18:05
Work (kj): 971
Normal Power: 131
Average Power: 117
Max Power: 474
VI: 1.12
TSS: 118
IF: 
0.71
L/R Entire Workout 50/50 (not a metric that I watch and usually close to 50/50)

Goal:

Enjoy the day cycling.

Ride Description:

So I've been a bit bummed about the loss of fitness and today was sort of uplifting to my spirit. On the way out I was content just cruising and wasn't really sure of my pace since my speed sensor was not active and it must have been using the GPS. Under the heavy tree canopy the speed would go from the 20's down to about 8 mph so it wasn't something I could use today. 

At about the 18 mile mark I felt a thud on my helmet and then something tap my Halo skull cap and then BAM!! Something lit up my cranium with a sting and man did it sting. I went on out to my turn point and then headed back.

Up ahead I see a yellow jersey and wondered if I could span the gap. As I got closer I saw it was someone in a Georgia Tech jersey and thought maybe it is a guy I know. A little closer and I noticed it was two on a tandem and there's the long blonde hair on the lead rider and I knew it was Diane "Gap Chick and her husband. 



I came around them at a fairly fast pace and I guessed that Diane was not going to let that go without a response. Sure enough a minute or so later she came around me in the upper 20's and held that pace until their turn off point in Hiram. What a fun time that turned out and made my day to do a few fun fast miles with Diane and husband. I got to talk a few minutes with them before I went on to finish the remaining 15 miles with a smile.


Great day on the bike!

Just a word on the 2018 Felt IA16. I've never really been about buying speed as much as I have been about training for speed, but this bike is fast. Even in the worst shape I have been in for a few years and I am still able to get to and hold speeds better than when I was in shape on my older bike. I can't wait until a day when I can get in some consistent training and see what I can do on this bike. Love the bike and the setup even with it having a lower end mechanical group.

Weather:

Temperature Start (F): 90
Temperature Finish (F): 90
Wind: Calm
Sky: Partly cloudy

Nutrition Intake During and Immediately After:

Bottle #1 24oz. Water, BSN Amino X, Maltodextrin, Trace Mineral Drops
GU gel at mile 20
Post Ride: 30 gram protein drink

Gear:

 Felt  IA16 


No comments: